04 | Who By Fire

BREAKING NEWS: PRO HERO METAL FISTS CONFIRMED DECEASED AFTER BUILDING COLLAPSE. OVER ONE THOUSAND CASUALTIES.

Hardly ten years old at the time, Y/N glimpsed the television as she entered her spacious, luxurious home. Immediately, Her eyes widened, and the cheerful expression she was wearing faded into one of sorrow. Her backpack slowly slid off her shoulder as her hands reached up to cover her mouth.

The city was in flames, multiple buildings had collapsed. The streets she grew up playing on were beyond repair. There were screams admitting from the television speaker, death, gore, and fire.

"An explosion had just caused ten buildings to collapse-"

"Help!"

"Oh God... Oh God please save us... There were heroes in there..."

It all sounded so real. It felt like she was there.

The accomplishments Y/N made at school that day completely vanished from her memory. She had been so excited to tell her father what she created in art class, and now, she would never be able to—the realization forcing out all the air from her lungs.

"Y/N!" Her mother's head snapped back at the sound of  her backpack hitting the floor. She reached for the remote and shut off the screen, but the damage was done.

The scene had seared into her subconscious. A scene she would never forget.

Why?

Why now?

I was... doing so well.

He can't be dead... not yet.

He had so much to teach me.

Sara rounded the sofa and propelled herself into her child's arms, shielding her face from her surroundings. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry baby girl... Daddy won't be coming back home." Sara had already been sobbing, her makeup completely washed down her cheeks. Her once beautiful face was pale and puffy.

Y/N had never seen her mother cry, not like this, not with a look of unimpaired devastation.

Her father really was gone.

"No..." Y/N cried out, fists scrunching the fabric of her mother's sweater, pawing at her, unable to accept the truth." No..."

"It's okay baby... Please calm down baby..." Sara's entire body shook with each breath she took.

"He's gone..." Young Y/N whimpered, traumatized, feeling herself losing control to the darkness that had constricted around her once pure soul.

Father was gone. Nobody else would ever be able to calm her spirit. She was alone.

Nobody would understand.

With tears streaming from the corners of her eyes, the little girl threw her head back and let out a scream so loud that her mother had to pull away and cover her ears in agony.

"NOOO!" She howled, shaking the entire house so violently until the windows surrounding them cracked and shattered into a thousand glistening fragments.

Every single atom for miles vibrated, dishes fell from their cabinets, books slid off their bookshelves, and picture frames that littered the hallway flew from their hooks and exploded once they hit the ground.

The force of her upheaval, the rawness of her quirk, blew the glass fragments right into the direction of Sara. Stupefied at the destruction, she managed to raise her hands just in time to command the larger pieces to fall before they could pierce her and her child's skin. The little ones though—made contact. In the blink of an eye, multiple lacerations scraped against their faces, arms, and legs.