Chapter 32: Revenge Is Best Served Cold

I surveyed the battlefield, and we weren't doing well.

Out of the haze, I could see Kalen coming towards me. He gasped when he saw my scar. "Astra, are you ok?"

"I'm fine." I said, but I flinched in pain. Kalen raised an eyebrow skeptically. "I don't believe that. Here, let me help you." He gently pressed his hand against my scar, and it started to heal.

"It'll take time, but it's the best I can do." Kalen said. I hugged him gratefully. "Thanks." Then I rejoined the battle.

I saw Arya ahead looking down at her arm. "Hey Arya-" I cut off when I saw her arm. It was horrifying, a deep gash embedded in her skin.

"Oh, yeah, I got hit by a purple orb." she said. WELL, OBVIOUSLY.

"Will you be able to fight like that?" I asked. 

"Maybe?" she said. She ripped a part of her sleeve off and wrapped it around her arm. Then I remembered that I had my water pouch with me.

"Dude, I can heal you." I said. Arya's face lit up in recognition and she nodded.

With a small whoosh sound, the water flowed out of my pouch and I let it hover over Arya's arm wound. The blood started to dissipate and the gash started to seal but there was still a mark.

"Sorry, I don't have enough water. That's all I can do for now." I said.

"It's fine, it's like a badass battle scar." Arya said as she flexed her arm.

I noticed we were right at the edge of the cloud where it was darkest.

"Well, well, well." a sinister voice spoke behind us. 'What a nice reunion." 

I spun around and realised it had turned even darker. I heard..clapping?

I could barely make out a figure in the swirling mist. Thanaia.

She stepped towards us. "Shame you won't live longer." She summoned two black daggers and dual-wielded them. I have that too, I thought indignantly.

"Well, now you DIE!!" she yelled, running at Arya. She dodged just in time, but Arya got punched in the neck, blacking out. I had to buy her time.

"You're not the only one who can dual-wield." I said so coldly Khione would have approved. Thanaia turned to me, and both her hands had daggers in them now.

I let out a yell, slashing at her. She dodged, and our daggers (well, my dagger-swords) clashed. It went on like that for a couple of minutes, slashing and stabbing when we got the chance. Luckily I didn't get much bruises or cuts. I could hear Arya stirring. Phew. I glanced in her direction and saw she was conscious again.

You alright? I mind-asked while sparring with Thanaia.

Ehhh, could be better. Imma not get up so Thanaia doesn't notice me. she replied. Then I kill her. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNN.

Good plan, I answered. Just then, Thanaia slashed downwards and I had to lunge out of the way.

I think Arya saw something that could assist her in killing Thanaia, so I started to fight quicker, with swift kicks and blows. Then Arya grabbed an arrow. Ohh. She raised it, preparing to throw it.

The arrow flew, straight towards its target. I rolled out of its path as the arrow embedded itself in Thanaia.

Arya jumped up with a yell of happiness.

"You little brat!" Thanaia hissed. "Take THAT!" she spat, stabbing Arya near her heart. Arya fell to the ground, pulling the dagger from her chest.

Soundlessly, she stabbed Thanaia in the head, ending her. Then she collapsed on the ground.

The battle raged on, but Thanaia was finally gone.

Eventually, the spirits disappeared and I had enough strength to bring Arya to the infirmary.

There weren't many others still awake, and we all waited anxiously while the rest slept in the infirmary.

The Apollo campers were gonna have to work overtime.