eleven

THE THREE BEST FRIENDS ENTERED THE BALLROOM at The Ritz - Carlton. They looked around, admiring the decorations. They would've been impressed if the chancellor of the university wasn't the most materialistic, arrogant, boastful man  to ever walk planet earth.

That didn't mean the decor wasn't absolutely stunning. The round tables were draped with cream satin tablecloths. There were medium sized plates with a smaller one situated in the centre of it at each seat. Cutlery and champagne flutes on either side of the plates. Some tables had high centrepieces while others had mid sized centrepieces.

Some were floral arrangements whilst others were an array of different elegantly looking candles. The seats had cream plush cushion and dozens of fairy lights hung on the ceiling making it seem like you were gazing at the night sky as it resembled bright stars.

"What did the email say? Can we sit anywhere or do we need to follow a specific list like last year?" Katya asked and Vanessa shrugged.

"Unlike you two," Aaliyah said. "I read the email thoroughly and it stated that you could sit wherever you like. Apparently, people didn't follow the seating arrangements last year anyway."

"Oh she reads and she retains." Vanessa said in a sarcastic tone of a voice.

"Well I am quite the intellectual." Aaliyah said, confidence seeping through her skin and she was absolutely right. Though it was meant to be a joke, the woman was an intellectual.

"Alright, let's go sit at the table closest to the corner of the room. I don't like being seated in the middle it makes me feel uncomfortable." Vanessa said which her friends already expect.

Vanessa suffered from servere anxiety, especially when there were a lot of people in one vicinity.

Aaliyah spoke before they could walk towards their desired seat. "That's close to the stage though." The woman was worried that Sergio would perhaps say a few words and then spot her. She wouldn't be able to handle his intense stare. Despite her tough demeanour.

"Are you worried lover boy will see you? It's inevitable that you're going to run into him regardless of where we're seated. So let's go before they take our seats."

The women walked over to the table of their choosing and took their seats. The room slowly began filling up while waiters and waitresses brought beverages and appetisers to each individual at the different tables.

Aaliyah was too afraid to look around the space so she indulged in conversation with her best friends hardly listening to the people talking on stage or paying attention to the animated chatter around her.

She didn't know how much longer she'd be able to remain seated, she desperately needed to stretch her legs or get some fresh air.

Aaliyah excused herself and headed to the restrooms. Upon exiting the ballroom and walking down the hallway that led to the restroom she walked into the one person she was trying hard to avoid for the entirety of tonight.

Sergio stopped dead in his tracks and his eyes lingered on the student. It felt as if his breath had been knocked out of his lungs. Which meant he needed to remind himself to breathe.

The silky, red evening dress hugged her body and he wished it was his hands all over her instead of the fabric. The dress had off shoulder sleeves, with a small V neckline, an open back and a slit on the left side. Which finally didn't leave much to the imagination because he didn't want to imagine it anymore.