Day 11 - A deceased person you wish you could talk to.

• Dedicated to to pappou, knowing you're looking down at me... x

Day 11 – A deceased person you wish you could talk to.

Dear Pappou (grandfather),

Luckily for me there haven’t been many deaths in my family. Only two, one I was not close to yet still tragic.

When I was in year one I went to Greece for the first time to meet my dad’s side though most importantly, my grandparents.

I stayed there for about a month and a half and it was an experience I would always cherish.

You were kind of sick when I visited though you still took me places, taught me the Greek alphabet and coloured in with me. I always had to tell you where the colours of my forty-eight pack of crayola pencils went. You loved to mix them up.

A week or so before you left we went to the hospital, I didn’t know why I was there until I saw you, lying on the hospital bed. Being so young I didn’t understand anything that was going on. I later found out that you had had a heart attack.

I stayed with you all night with my mum, my dad stayed back in Australia with my brothers. You didn’t understand English that well though you didn’t need to. We had fun and could understand each other. I played with the plush doll you had bought me all night, making up stories with her that made you, mum and yiayia (grandmother) laugh.

I still have that doll today, I used to sleep with it every night till I think year seven when I started high school though it still sits proudly on my shelf.

You died a year later after my trip there; it was a harsh time for my family.

I’ll always remember our time together, how you forgot about your own welfare to keep me happy. I wish I could talk to you now even though I wouldn’t be able to understand you. To thank you for being the best Pappou any girl could ever have.

I love you pappou and I’m proud to call myself your granddaughter,

Love,

Mary. K (: x