Sounds Like A Wounded Fox

Downton Abbey,
January 15th 1920

There weren't many times Thomas and Mr Carson saw eye to eye. In fact, Thomas could count them all on one hand until this very morning. The valet and the butler stood with their hands behind their backs, their eyebrows furrowed and their heads tilted in the same direction as they watched the new footman. They shared a look of mutual concern - which was rarer than a bloodhound befriending a fox.

"Blimey, and I thought myself tall for a footman" Thomas said and glanced Miss O'Brien's nephew up and down. "I'm surprised the livery even fits him."

Mr Carson just grumbled and walked over to inspect the footman. Thomas still stood at the end of the servants' hall, rolling on his feet "So does that mean I don't have to act footman tonight, Mr Carson?"

"I would appreciate it if you could do it with Alfred, Mr Barrow" Mr Carson said and their brief moment of peace was over. "We don't know if he is up for it yet."

"I worked as a waiter, Mr Carson, I know how to serve tables."Alfred said which caused Mr Carson's glare to intensify towards the new addition to the staff.

Thomas let out a snort and his lips tightened to hide his glee. "I will be happy to act as footman one last night, Mr Carson, if just to amuse myself." He said and left the room with a smile. He could almost feel Carson's agitation follow him upstairs and to Lord Grantham's dressing room. There Thomas began laying out his lordship's tailcoat for dinner. It wouldn't be that bad though, Thomas thought, at least at dinner he could throw Matthew teasing gazes and watch him blush.

"Cousin Robert, might I have a word in private?" Matthew said as they had gathered in the sitting room just before dinner. It was now time to unravel his plan to Lord Grantham, with the hopes that the Earl would accept both Matthew's money and Molesley as his valet.

"Of course Matthew." Robert said and tried to hide his worries from the meeting in London the other day. Perhaps Matthew was bringing some good news, maybe he had reconsidered marrying Mary. Whatever it was, Robert Crawley hoped it would bring a little bit of cheer.

The two excused themselves to the ladies of the house; Old Lady Grantham and Mrs Isobel Crawley. When they passed from the sitting room to the library, Matthew saw the glimpse of Thomas with an extremely tall footman at his heels. Matthew raised his eyebrows in surprise as he followed Robert into the library.

"So, dear chap, what did you wish to speak to me about?" Robert said and walked over to pour them both some whisky and Matthew accepted the glass, with some reservations, he had not had the spirit since he had tried to drown in sorrow in it for months. Matthew didn't know how it would taste - bitter like the regrets of his foolish ways, or sweet from the memories of him and Thomas sharing the same brand. Matthew took a seat before the fireplace and Robert joined him.

"I have had some thoughts about the future, my future, and the future for this estate" Matthew said and brought the glass to his lips to take a small sip; it was to Matthew's relief that it tasted like memories.

Robert's eyes scrutinised Matthew's face. He had a brief moment of hope that Matthew indeed had changed his tune and now wished to marry Robert's eldest daughter. He knew very well that, regardless of Mary's callous words, she held sorrows for being turned down.

Hope was, at first crushed, but Matthew's words came with a new hope to Robert. Matthew spoke of moving to Downton and his wishes to invest in the estate - to truly embrace the role as the heir.

"We need to modernise this, build something that will last, I have dealt with too many papers of estates closing" Matthew said and tried to read Robert's face and his thoughts about Matthew's preposition "The war has changed the world and if we don't change with it there will be no Downton for the next generation."