A Momentary Victory

Downton Abbey,
August 1920

'If only everyone knew' Those thoughts lingered within Matthew as he drove back to Downton Abbey. The nightmarish imagery of seeing Thomas being hauled away like cattle kept flashing before his eyes in a similar fashion that the war did. God, Matthew hoped that his words would not be empty promises. He needed to call John and Harvey again; he needed an update, he needed to hear them say that they found a lawyer that was willing to help Thomas.

But Matthew didn't have high hopes.

He pulled up to Downton Abbey and jumped out of his car. The chauffeur came to drive it to the garage while Matthew took off his driving gloves and stepped inside the grand doors of the house. Instantly he was met by his name being shouted from the stairs.

"Matthew!"

Tom came hurrying down the steps and towards his friend. His eyebrows were pushed together in an expression of great concern that made Tom resemble a large puppy. "Is everything alright? You simply rushed out right before lunch..."

Matthew clenched his fist around his driving gloves and took a deep breath. "I don't know, Tom, I got to see him but — " He shook his head and tilted it to the ceiling while trying to blink his tears away " — when he saw me I knew he thought I believed it all; he must have sat there for days thinking I had abandoned him and now, what can I do Tom?"

Tom shook his head "You're doing everything you can, Matthew."

"Everything I can? I am doing absolutely nothing." Matthew pinched the bridge of his nose "except to call John and Harvey again — and then I have to inform Robert and Mr Carson that the policemen will arrive shortly to search Thomas' room."

Tom looked bowled over and tilted his head with a knitted brow "I am sorry, they are doing what?"

"Searching Thomas' room" Matthew said in an exhale "Though I am not worried, after the incident with O'Brien searching his room we decided to keep all of our letters and — " Matthew went quiet as the maid Maud passed them with folded fresh laundry to be put away.

"And you are certain there is nothing there?" Tom asked.

"Yes, I am certain." Matthew said wearily. "Now, excuse me Tom, I have to relay the news of the police barging in here to Robert." He said and then excused himself.

It didn't take long for the police to arrive and Matthew thought that it must have been the entire station. Not that it was a large branch by any means but it spoke volumes that they decided to dispatch all available officers to simply search Thomas' room. Was he surprised? Not at all. Did it vex him? Absolutely. Matthew, along with Mr Carson, stood by the door as they turned Thomas' room upside down.

Mr Carson had his chest puffed out and he was staring at nothing. This scandal seemed to have aged him 10 years at least. Matthew did not pity him, he knew what he thought of Thomas. Yes, had Thomas caused trouble for himself in the past? Absolutely, but they didn't see his Thomas and Matthew wished he could protect him from every single person thinking a bad thought about him.

"Absolutely outrageous" Mr Carson muttered "but if it reveals anything I suppose it is worth them violating his lordship's house."

"It won't reveal anything, Mr Carson." Matthew spoke through gritted teeth.

"If you say so Mr Crawley, but don't think Mr Barrow innocent simply because of one good deed." Mr Carson said, referring to what he had done for Matthew during the war.

"That's quite enough, Mr Carson, I warn you to speak so freely about another servant." Matthew threw him a warningly glare and the butler fell silent.

At this point he could hear the police officers mumble to themselves and Matthew peeked inside the room. One of them was holding an Oscar Wilde book with a frown upon their face; Matthew scoffed — that did not prove anything, even Robert had one or two Oscar Wilde books in his library. Though when his eyes travelled over to a tall officer, with dark hair and a moustache, they went wide. Time stopped, his heart stopped — Matthew became paralysed. The camera.