A Broken Heart

"I'm sorry."

An apology was the last thing Lufner expected. 

"For what?"

"Missing."

Fear did not come to mind.  Not even when she stood over him and dislodged the weapon.  Not even when she pushed him down hard so his back collided violently with the floorboards. 

Instead came exhilaration and Lufner's love for her deepened even so now she was after his life. 

Namitha straddled him like a horse and she held the blade in both hands high above her head. 

"You're serious?"

"I'll make it quick."

"Don't I at least deserve to know why I'm being killed?"

"Oh, I'll tell you- after you're dead."

Mercy was nowhere found in Namitha's eyes.  Lufner was quick to accept his fate. 

"I don't get it, but I'll miss you."

With that said, all countenance was lost.  Namitha's hands shook and the metal clang to the floor as fierce tears escaped her eyes. 

Ashamed, she attempted to stand but Lufner had pulled her close so she dampened his neck and sleeve.

Anger clouded her logic.  Sadness ruled the day. 

She was strong.  She was fierce.  Everyone became slaves to love at the mere thought of being in her presence.  They were stepping stones beneath her feet but she did not need love.  And she did not need fairy tales. 

She had her sword and she had strength.  She did not need protecting.

So she thought until a Viking by the name of Lufner Modig came along.

Who was she? 

The one and only daughter of a warrior rumoured to have single-handedly slayed a dragon.  Her mother was a powerful shield maiden and she followed in her parents' footsteps years after their deaths. 

Her hair was long, straight and dark like the night without a single star.  Her beauty was the admiration of women and the infatuation of men.  Because of this, they did everything she asked without question or complaint.  A ruler to her people- a role she took seriously. 

Hanlaug was her name. 

She thought little of Lufner Modig the first they locked eyes.  He and his men were requested to come to her lands to help settle a land dispute. 

He protected her twice in battle.  He protected everyone. 

Once victorious, they spent a week celebrating and Hanlaug allowed it, even sheltering and feeding the men as long as they caused no harm to the female-dominated village. 

It was only when Lufner and his men came upon her accidentally one day bathing without weapon or guard, her first thought was to have them all killed but Lufner hustled them away.

He asked for nothing in return and at length, she thanked him.  His kind smile sent her way, however, struck her heart to stone. 

His continued kindness broke down her coldness and contempt.  She was undeserving.  She of all people knew that yet he treated her like a close companion.  Even her people saw change in her.  Their iron-fisted leader dissolved into a shy, chaste girl. 

Hanlaug adored being in the same room as he, listening to his laughter and tales of adventures past.

Many women had an eye for him but he cared not for them much less invited any to his bed.