A Seeress

Namitha stirred her breakfast with her spoon, her chin in her hand.

At the table sat with her Hanlaug and her sisters.

Hanlaug was briefed on the happenings of the dawn but did not know how to approach the matter. She was an older sister of two. The least she could do was try.

"Do you not like your stew?"

"How ungrateful you are," quipped Sandla. "You dare insult our Earl by-"

"Silence," said Hanlaug.

...Her sisters, on the other hand, were not briefed.

Besides the villagers, Namitha could not gain their favour.

She bowed her head low. Her vibrant hair covered her eyes.

She had to reach Lufner but leaving Lilyland now was out of the question. And how she worried for him.

"With your permission, may I be excused?"

"You may."

Namitha silently thanked the Earl leaving her alone with her sisters.

"She looked pale," commented Hanlaug.

"I hope she succumbs to sickness and dies," said Margo.

Hanlaug had enough of her sisters' rudeness.

"Must I repeat myself from the night in the great hall? Namitha is my guest. Of all people, my dear sisters, I would have expected you to heed my command and wish. If you will not hear me, what would the people think?"

Sandla said, "But sister, they have not seen the nights you cried and the hurt and longing in your eyes. She is not worthy of your forgiveness. Nor ours.

"We have worried and felt for you for months. You must understand."

"Are you calling me weak and incapable of managing my own emotions?"

The sisters flinched.

"I will have you know that I am now far from that sorry state of being. I have not Lufner's heart, but I have his trust and that is as equally as dear to me.

"Namitha is my guest and shall be treated as thus."

With that, Hanlaug left her chair in search of Namitha wherever she may be. Her sisters exchanged solemn looks.

She did not have long to go. As she slowed her steps, she stood in front of a door leading to a storage room where she heard stifled sniffles and sobs.

Her hand hesitated and she went away to her quarters to think of how to console her. She bit her sleeve and walked back and forth.

Maybe she should call Magrid or maybe-

"What are you doing?"

Hanlaug stopped her pacing and snapped her fingers. A smile formed on her lips.

The old hag came just in time.

Glurina was pushed in front the door and Hanlaug was growing impatient by her wariness.

"Hurry it up then."

Before any questions could be asked, Hanlaug forced the little old lady through.

Namitha, surprised by the intrusion, stood and dried her tears with the edge of her palm and the sleeves of her dress.

The door closed shut. The silence was deafening.

Glurina took a careful step forward and Namitha watched the tiny old woman closely.