A Prayer

Namitha jerked awake and blinked her eyes warily in the dark. Something was amiss and sure enough, the spot where her husband was supposed to be was vacant. Reaching over she found no trace of his warmth. Questions filled her mind and with haste, Namitha wiggled out of the tucked covers and slipped on her underdress. She found him in the sitting room with nothing but the light of candles to keep him company.

With both hands placed on his shoulders, she said in a soft, quiet voice:

"Come back to bed, husband."

"I am not tired."

"What is keeping you up?"

"..."

She lifted a chair to his and sat side him with brows laced with concern.

"Tell me."

"My brother. I worry for him."

"Your brother?"

"His name is Acegir. A great warrior. Greater than me."

"Why do you worry for him?"

"He did not return when he said he would. It has been months. And I haven't heard word of him from anyone."

"I'm sure he is alright."

"He has many enemies."

The room's mood dimmed like the flickering candles and Namitha knelt before him and held his face in her hands.

"Go to the hills before the sun rises and pray to the gods. Pray for your brother's safety."

"I've done so many times."

"It will not hurt if you try again. Your heart is troubled. Let them acknowledge your need for peace."

"Are you sure it will work?"

"You will never know until you try."

Lufner studied his wife's eyes. She, he observed, was a woman sharp of mind and he was certain she would rarely lead him down a wrong path.

"Will you join me?"

"Of course I will."

She tugged on his arm and this time Lufner followed. In bed, she covered him and held him close to her breast.

"Why do you treat me like a child, woman?"

"Why do you try so hard to conceal your sorrow?"

"I've worked hard to be who I am today. Crying is a thing of the past."

It was Acegir's influence. In his teaching, crying was a sign of weakness and was better reserved for womenfolk and children.

"A man who isn't true to his feelings is the weakest of men. It is okay to cry, to worry, to fret. I beg you please to not hold it in. Even the gods falter in their strength. They know despair. They know of defeat and loss."

"But I-"

"Listen here, Lufner," Namitha looked him fiercely in the eyes. "I'm here for you. I am your wife. Acknowledge me as your confidant and your friend. Let me be those things for you. You're not alone in this. Not anymore."