A Holmgang

A day went by and then two. There was no talk of Hanlaug. Namitha was strangely quiet on the matter but Lufner knew a schemer when he saw one. Consequently, he held his tongue.

When the fourth day came along, they got a supper invite from Usoff. Lufner was pleased. Ever since married, he rarely got supper invitations so it was a nice change of pace.

Namitha insisted they go early so she can help Kaya so they did, taking a pheasant with them as a gift. Earl Genzic gifted them 5, all well-fed. Namitha did not mind parting with one.

Once the feasting was done and over with, Namitha sat close to the fireplace with her back turned to Usoff and Lufner watched as he slightly dampened her flowing hair, created parts with a comb, and begin braiding. Lufner thought nothing much of it. Usoff was a great braider.

Kaya struggled in the kitchen with both babe and tidying and it did not take Namitha long to offer help. She could not stand at the moment but stretched her arms out and Kaya, grateful for the help, plopped the babe in her friend's arms and hurried off to complete the rest of the chores.

Namitha was well aware of her husband's gaze. Now with babe in hand, his staring was more apparent than before.

She distracted herself by playing with the newborn's soft blond curls, smiling when his eyes drooped ever so slightly. She did so until he fell asleep and could not help but kiss the child. He was the most precious thing. The gods had gifted Usoff and Kaya the most gracious of luck.

She nudged his hand with her finger and grinned and cooed as he grasped it in his sleep. Usoff chuckled proud.

Nami glanced up and caught Lufner's eye. She smiled and his brows rose. She returned her staring to the child and he did the same with a purse of his lips.

Mothering suited her greatly. There was no doubt about that. However, the hairstyle of choice reminded him of a shield maiden on a battle field, small braids joined to a larger one in the middle. Hair no longer in her eyes.

He wondered which one suited her best. A mother or a shield maiden? Lufner went with both.

Usoff finished the braid and after Namitha gave him her thanks, he retrieved his son and went over to the next room to put him to bed. Kaya went with him just in case, leaving both Namitha and Lufner alone.

"It suits you," said Lufner.

Namitha coloured.

He loved when she coloured.

"Thank you."

He approached and kissed her forehead. To Namitha's surprise, he knelt before her and caressed her stomach. She jumped and prodded his hands off and locked them in hers.

"What are you doing?"

She held back a smile and quickly looked to the room the homeowners disappeared in.

"Nothing."

Namitha did not believe him. It had only been a week since he discovered she was ticklish. She had her guard up ever since.

"I was only imagining you swell with my child...Holding my child..."

He smiled gently into her eyes. If she could be so pleased with a child that was not her own, he could not wait to see her become a mother.

"You jest," said Namitha. Her gladness filled her cheeks and she giggled softly to herself, ruffling her husband's hair.

"You'll make an amazing mother as you are an amazing wife."

Namitha blinked away the itch in her eye and she leaned forward and kissed him, gliding her hand from the top of his head to the nape of his neck.

Then her eyes lowered and her smiled disappeared into a frown.