An Apology

There it was in the distance. Her home. And there behind those doors was her husband.

Namitha quickened her pace to the point she ran. Adding more to those three days was a nid* in and of itself. She could not afford to lose one more second.

She stumbled on the steps and banged on the door with desperate fervour.

"Luffy!"

The heavy rains drowned her voice so she screamed as hard as she could.

"Luffy, plea-"

The door swung open and Namitha hurried in. The cloak was hanged and by her soaked appearance, it did not do much good; owing to the fact that she had not secured it properly since she was in such a hurry and as a result, was left dripping wet and cold.

Lufner said nothing but stared and watched Namitha sit to take her shoes off. Her nimble fingers quivered and her frustration made the easy task seem like the hardest thing she had ever done.

Lufner went before her and with care, he slowly removed her muddied shoes and Namitha wished he could say something. His silence was torture.

"Luffy... I-"

In her hands, Lufner blew air to warm her skin. It sent tingles all about her and Namitha's eyes softened when he rubbed her hands together with his.

"Why?" she said.

Lufner looked at her and she held his gaze. There was a look in his eye she had never seen but before she could reach out to touch him, he moved away and left.

"Wait here."

After some time, and constant back and forth, he had filled the tub with warm water and helped her undress from her damp and sullied clothing. Mud had devoured her hem and she was shivering from her head to her toe.

In the water, she warmed up and glanced up to see Lufner take her garments away. On a nearby stool were her white linen tunic and cloth.

Though it was awfully kind of him, she did not know why he was doing all this. She did not deserve it.

Before he left her, she stopped him.

"I want to tell you that I am sorry."

"Don't worry about it. You are home now. How is your mother?"

"Luffy..."

Any other person would have taken the exoneration and be pleased with it but all it did was make the guilt bear on Namitha's bones even more.

"I'm really sorry."

Lufner came close and kissed her forehead.

And before she could dare to capture his lips, he pulled away and looked at her from a distance she could not reach.

"Don't worry about it."

"Why don't you join me?"

"I had a bath earlier. I do not need to take another. Hungry?"