A Foreigner

Namitha could scarcely sleep.

Lufner awakened to her stirring.

When asked what was wrong, he received no answer and proceeded to wrap his arms around her waist, bring her close and smoothed his hand along her skin. Her arm shot out then and she gave his elbow a small squeeze.

They faced each other in the dark and Lufner let her go.

Gentle fingers ran through his hair and not long after, she stood to leave.

It did not take long for Lufner to go after her. He sat himself down in the sitting room and watched as she lit a candle and poured herself a drink.

"Drink with me, Luffy," she said.

Without hesitation, Lufner took the cup of ale. He rarely drank but given the circumstances, he had little reason to refuse.

He tilted the cup to his lips and leaned back in his chair as the warmth from the beverage engulfed him. He stuck his tongue out at the sourness and frowned.

Namitha poured herself a second, sat at his feet with her head on his knees and reached up to touch the hand in her hair.

"Remember what I said, Nami."

"Again with the lecturing..." Namitha eased herself up and downed her ale.

Lufner moved to sit beside her and sipped his cup.

Namitha regarded him closely. The candle light flickered in his face and dark eyes. She cupped his face and took for herself a kiss.

"Tell me you love me."

"I love you."

The next kiss was given without question or thought. Namitha wrapped arms around his shoulders. Her head pressed close against his.

"Finish your ale, my love," she said.

"But I don-"

'Shhh' Her fingers pressed and slid down his lips. To his ears, she whispered again:

"Finish your ale."

Lufner gulped and finished his cup and dreaded the instant his wife poured him another.

Her smiles were enough of an encouragement so he drank and drank, all while she kissed his face and played with his hair. Not once he questioned it. Just did what she said.

"Luffy!"

Lufner was awakened with a start as his friend Usoff came bursting through his front door. His eyes were full of panic. Beads of sweat hurried down his face.

"Why are you still asleep?"

Lufner looked up from his position on the floor. His body securely covered with a blanket.

"And where's Nami? Don't tell me-"

Usoff's suspicions were right. Namitha had left without saying goodbye and had done so right under their noses.

Lufner sat up, his hand half-way on his face and in his hair trying to get his bearings right. His head spun but he managed to remember falling asleep after the fourth cup. Remembered his wife being right at his side.

"What are you talking about, Usoff? Nami is-"

He looked down beside him and then to the door where her bag was. Both were no where in sight and it dawned on him.

"She's gone."

Lufner's dejection summoned a smirk on his face and he covered his forehead and stomach and bellowed a hearty laugh.