A Keyword

Coping.  That was what Lufner Modig set his mind to do.  And coping he did.  No matter how hard. 

His friends well knew he disliked being alone, and with Namitha's absence, although they were already coming to terms with it, they still offered their homes and a place to sleep just like they used to.  But this night, Lufner chose to bunk in the comfort of his own home.  No matter how lonely it was. 

He still found traces of her presence.  Such as the hair in her brush left near the fireplace.  And her sweet smell lingered in the furs.  The empty ale cup she left in the sitting room, waiting to be filled again. 

Namitha would at least be pleased to find her supply untouched when she returned.  Lufner smiled at the thought.  He had to stop Zollo from venturing during his last visit.  He would protect his wife's ale even if it killed him. 

He washed, climbed into bed, and slipped into a light slumber. 

"Luffy..."

Lufner jolted awake and looked around the room twisting his neck left and right.  He heard his wife's voice, but after careful thought, he figured it was coming from a dream that mirrored a memory they shared.  He settled down once more and closed his eyes.  This time, he remained asleep and allowed the dream to take its course. 

"How's the ship?"

Ah yes.  It was the day they separated.  Namitha had gone to check with Makny concerning the sails. 

"It's coming along nicely."

"You must be tired."

"Very."

Namitha smiled and Lufner snickered with excitement for the times to come.

Lufner had returned home first, and she arrived mere minutes behind him.  He did not know why she looked so relieved but she went towards him and embraced him as if her life depended on it. 

It was late so they settled on some leftover bread and stew for the evening. 

After they freshened up, Namitha went to bed and called for him as he shuffled on his tunic.  He felt amazing after his bath and his limbs demanded rest. 

When Lufner looked her way, she sat up and folded the fur across her lap, and beckoned him to lay his head. 

There was no hesitation on his part and he grinned up at her while she brushed hair away from his face with her gentle fingers and entertained him with a smile. 

"How's the ship?"

"It's coming along nicely."

Lufner stifled a yawn. 

"You must be tired."

"Very."

All giddy, Lufner turned on his side, giving her more access to his hair, which Namitha glided her nails through, sending him into a state of bliss. 

"I met with the seeress today."

Lufner looked her in the eyes again.  His brows knotted.

"Why?"

"The gods lead me to her."

"Hm..." Lufner hummed and his eyes fluttered closed. 

He hissed when his wife pinched his cheek.

"At least, pretend to be interested, Luffy."