A Mistake

Choffin knew an illness of the mind when he saw one.

It had been only three days since his friend's wife's departure. Two of which he spent with him, along with Usoff, exploring the endless possibilities of his new-found freedom as he so merrily called it.

They fished for many hours a day, hunted for animals in the surrounding forest, and got into all sorts of mischief as young men had the habit of doing. But by the third day, Lufner had no interest in those sorts of excursions. He refused to leave his house at all.

Choffin saw it earlier on. How quiet he would get, staring off into the distance; many a times in the direction of the sea. He saw it when he would barely listen to a word of Usoff's amazing stories which was blasphemous. To Choffin, Usoff's stories were not ones to be missed or ignored.

Lufner was distant. The most distant he had ever seen his friend in the handful of days knowing him. Yes, he was physically healthy so his sickness was deep within. It wasn't just his mind that was uneased, it too was his heart.

"Oi, Luffy!" called Usoff. He banged the door, Choffin at his side. Lufner never showed at their meeting spot.

"There's been talk of a school of fish going crazy down by the lake, we have to go now before they scamper off."

No answer came and Usoff and Choffin exchanged looks.

Soon, Lufner came at the door looking groggy and uninterested.

Usoff gulped and took a step forward. He rested a hand on Lufner's shoulder.

"Are you okay?"

The morning had long opened and Lufner sported circles under his eyes. Sleep, it appeared, did not find him through the night.

"Yeah," Lufner smiled stiffly. "You guys have fun today. I will join you tomorrow."

With that being said, the door closed shut and Usoff and Choffin ran off to find Zollo.

"Zollo!" Choffin cried. "It's Luffy. Something's wrong!"

Zollo rolled eyes and wiped his chin dry from his jug of ale.

"Am I his keeper? Besides, if there is something wrong with him, you're a healer. Figure something out."

"It's not that kind of sickness, Zollo. You should have seen him. Luffy is not well. We need you to talk some sense into him. I believe it's about Nami."

Choffin agreed.

Zollo rose a brow. "Since she's gone, he looked fine to me. You guys had been running around like idiots getting up to no good. Luffy seemed glad to rid himself of that witch."

"That is not true. Lufner misses her and is doing all he can to hide it but things can catch up to you. One can only pretend for so long."

"Not my business."

Usoff gritted his teeth and clenched both fists. Differences aside, this was serious.

"He is your friend. If it's one person I know Luffy will listen to, it's you, Zollo."

Zollo reminded himself of the day Lufner confronted him and broke his nose all because of that witch. He did not give a damn whether he missed her or not.

"Please, Zollo."

Zollo's neck snapped to a teary-eyed Choffin and his eye twitched as he sat up and rubbed his neck.

"Fine."

Just then, Sangard walked up with food wrapped in cloth. He was on his way to Lufner's but Usoff filled him in.