A Resolution

On the day of the wedding, Lufner sort to escape having no problem forfeiting his whole life, his reputation, not even his friends.

He had major plans and the idea of starting over did not bother him the slightest.

But Earl Genzic was a sharp-witted man and sent men to capture the Viking before he could step  foot outside the village.

He struggled a great deal but the big, burly men did not let up and the Viking was tossed and bolted in a room where there was no opportunity to escape.

He cursed the wind and leaned up to rub his aching head. It was a wonder he did not find blood.

In the stuffy and poorly lit room, Lufner silently questioned the gods. Wondering whether or not it was his fate or if it was a sign to get away from the village as far as possible at the earliest convenience. Never to be seen or heard of again.

Something moved in the corner and the woman promised to him emerged from the shadows. The exact woman he did not want.

She was dressed in indigo and her vibrant, silky tresses cascaded freely down her shoulders. The kohl lined her eyes and her lips were tinted pink. Any normal man would have been enthralled but not Lufner Modig.

He scowled. Her presence made this more the real and his insides churned in protest to his impending doom.

There was some time left before the ceremony and as Namitha requested, Genzic brought Lufner to her. But the only thing shared between them was silence.

This time she managed to look him square in the eyes but the long minute they stared at each other came to an abrupt end when Lufner turned on his heel and moved to leave.

Suddenly, he was knocked back down by an unexpected force and an all too familiar coldness of a blade was held dangerously close to his neck.

"Don't move."

The day after her birthday, Earl Genzic had a little talk with his daughter.

His adorable little girl was now a beautiful grown woman and he knew that it was about time things had to change.

"My dear, sweet Namitha."

"Father."

Together they sat in the dining room for the first meal of the day. She was having porridge with a helping of fruit while her father opted for a bowl of stew. An occasion usually enjoyed in silence.

"Have you thought about what we discussed? You're a fine woman, and it is long past the time you thought about starting a family. Do you not want that?"

"I do. But I don't want to leave you, especially mum. Her sickness refuses to leave her and she grows weaker by the day. I owe you two my life. How can I leave now?"

Namitha looked at her meal and pushed it away.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm no longer hungry."

"Eat. Unless you want to fall sick and add to your mother's worries, you have to eat."