Chapter Five

Victoria

            As soon as I closed the door my father called from the living room. Just the way he sounded you could tell he was already drunk.

            "What is it dad?"

            "Bring me another beer from the fridge."

            "Can't you do it?" As soon as I asked that I regretted it.

            "What the hell did you say to me?" He asked as he got off from his chair.

            "I'm sorry, I'll go get your drink." I said, but as I started to walk away, there was a tight grasp on my arm. It felt familiar from earlier.

            "Why do you talk back to me?" His voice was getting lower.

            "Let go of my arm. I'm sorry! Please, let go!" I cried.

            He pulled me towards him. The next thing I saw was his arm in the air, but the next thing I felt was a strong sensation of pain on my cheek. The force pushed me to the ground causing me the land on my good wrist.

            "I'll get it myself. You're just useless." He stepped over me making sure that his heel would kick me in the stomach. It felt like a brick was thrown at my face. It stung so bad it went numb. I didn't want to run into him again, so I did my best to go up the stairs.

            As the sun set in the distance, my mind wondered. Tears went down my face soothing the burning sensation on the cheek, but also making it hurt a little. 'Why? Why did I deserve this? What did I do? I wish mom were still here instead of dad. Maybe life would be a lot better.'

            "I wish you were here mom. I miss you." I looked up at the sky becoming dark. Tomorrow was going to be another day. A new day, a bad day, like today. The last tear fell down my cheek and landed on my hand. It was swollen. This is getting worse. I need ice, but I don't want to bump into my father again. I can last. I'll just sleep it off.

            I woke up in the middle of night to the strong pain happening in my wrist. I about screamed but stopped myself.  I was biting my tongue hard enough to taste the copper blood in my mouth.

            In my head I imagined the pain being gone, going away. 'Stop hurting, please! I can't cause any more attention for Luca.' I went to the medicine cabinet to see if I had ibuprofen. The only thing that was useful was sleeping pills. 'Best I can do.'

            Taking three I went back to bed instantly. The last thing I thought about was Luca.