3: The Shattered Morning

Jacklyn

Does he love me?

Holy fuck! I have no idea.

I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling and thinking about Ren. I never expected him to talk to me. I never even expected him to glance at me. What happened earlier was such a surprise. Was it real? I'd never felt anything like this in my life; an unusual sensation ran throughout my entire body. It's strange, but I like it.

Ren always gives me a unique chill that I have never experienced with anybody else. But... how did he know I was looking at him? Thinking of him, I slowly drifted to sleep.

*Time Skip*

I awoke to my brother yelling, trying to wake me up for college.

"Stop shouting, Kevin, I am up," I shouted back.

"Who's shouting now, huh?" he questioned me with a serious face.

"Why are you raising your voice?" I asked him, my voice trembling.

"JUST SHUT YOUR MOUTH!"

"What happened..."

"Aghhh, just wake up and get ready, Jacklyn."

He slammed the door shut with a loud bang and went out. I'd never seen him act this way before.

What happened so suddenly?

*Time Skips*

I came downstairs and was shocked to see the hall; everything was scattered everywhere. It looked like a scene from a movie after a fight. I saw Kevin making breakfast in the kitchen. For the first time in my life, I felt scared of my brother. I slowly walked towards the kitchen, placing my bag on the couch.

"K-Kevin?"

Without even looking at my face, he placed a plate on the kitchen island and started to leave.

Being stubborn, I blocked his way.

"What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing," he said in a flat tone and tried to leave again.

"Then why are you shouting at me? And why are you avoiding me now? What happened to the house? It was you and Ren last nig—"

"If I hear that name again from your mouth," he came towards me, inches away, "you won't like the consequences, I swear."

He sounded just like our father. Old memories of my father flooded my mind. His voice started to echo in my ears. I covered my ears and kneeled, trying to stop the sounds. I pressed my hands tightly over my ears to block them out. My sobs grew louder, making it even worse.

"Jacklyn, look at me, Jacklyn."

I heard Kevin’s faint voice. He grabbed my head and made me look at him.

"Jacklyn, calm down. I am sorry, okay? I was being a jerk. Jacklyn, stop crying. I am sorry. I really am, Jac—"

Everything went blank.