1: The Unexpected Encounter

Jacklyn

I've become obsessed with staring at his room, waiting patiently for the lights to go off. I don't know if he knows me, but the rushing heart and clenching feeling I get for him is driving me crazy. I love every second I spend thinking about him.

"Ren Nathen," that's what my brother said when I asked him. Ren's aura was always dark. I never saw anyone in his house; it was only him. He comes out in the morning for a jog, then leaves the house in his "rich ass car," returning at six.

Now it's quarter past six, but there's still no sign of him.

My brother suddenly yelled from downstairs.

I stepped out of my room, furious at the interruption, because if I miss Ren now, I won't see him again until dawn.

"What is it, you assho-?"

As I walked out, my eyes widened and my breath caught in my throat. There, lounging casually on the couch, was Ren. His presence filled the room, a stark contrast to the dim, ordinary living space. Panic surged through me, and I instinctively took a step back, heart pounding in my chest. I tried to slip back into my room, but my brother called again, forcing me to stay.

"Jacklyn?"

Ah, this jerk. I twisted my head, annoyed, and asked, gritting my teeth, trying to steady my voice despite the storm of emotions raging inside me.

"Yes, Kavin?"

I grinned, though it felt more like a grimace, trying to hide the fright and wrath on my face.

"What would you like for dinner? We're going to order."

"Hmm....."

I stood there, paralyzed, my mind racing and unable to focus on anything but Ren's piercing gaze. The room seemed to close in around me, the air thick with tension.

"Pizza? Sounds good, right?" Ren's voice broke through the haze, husky, deep, and impossibly attractive. It was my first time hearing him speak, and the sound sent shivers down my spine.

If he asks, who am I to argue?

"Yeah, it will be okay."

Shit! Shit! Shit...

Why am I trembling?

He smiled slightly, a knowing smirk playing on his lips as he glanced up at me. His eyes seemed to see right through me, stripping away all pretense.

"Jacklyn, Ren is going to stay tonight," Kavin said, oblivious to the turmoil inside me as he set up a movie for them to watch.

If he wishes, he can stay in my heart. Why only at home?

"Oh, okay, enjoy then."

I forced a smile, casting one final glance at Ren, who was still staring at me, his gaze intense and unreadable.

My heart skipped a beat and began to ache under the weight of his stare, the world around us fading away for a brief, electrifying moment.

With that, I hurried inside, slammed the door, and collapsed on the bed, crying into my pillow, angry at myself for cussing in front of my crush.