20- What happened?

Ren

Setting my girl down, I furiously went downstairs to kill that bastard.

Seeing the front door open, my temper flared. I took a water bottle from the fridge and ran upstairs for my phone.

Grabbing the phone from the bed, I approached Jacklyn. When she saw me, she wrapped her arms around my neck; I had to bend down a little for her height. I wrapped my arm around her hip, lifting her to my height as she rested her head on my shoulder.

"Princess, water."

I was bad at comforting people, and here I didn’t even know the reason for her condition, nor could I ask about it. I pictured this day to be perfect and had planned it that way, but now I just wanted this day to end. She pulled out of the hug, took the bottle from my hand, and started drinking. I had to call my men to track Stefen, but doing this in front of her was impossible. I looked out onto the balcony and saw Jeremiah driving into Jacklyn's house. I glanced at Jacklyn, then back at Jeremiah, and she eventually followed my gaze. I put her down, cupping her face as I said,

"Leave, princess; I will be there."

She shook her head, denying me. I gave her a small peck on the lips and tapped her cheek, encouraging her. She looked at me with a mixed expression.

I can’t fucking read you, princess.

I took a deep breath and said, "I will talk to him."

"Then come with me."

"Sure, you leave first."

Glancing at me for the last time, she went down the stairs. I thought this was the best chance to call my men, and if I talked with Jeremiah, maybe I would learn what was going on with Jacklyn and Stefen. I went inside and closed my balcony door.

I dialed my secretary, and after a few rings, he picked up the call.

"Hello, Jordan, you need to track a car. I will send you the number."

"Okay, sir."

"I also want his activity status for the past month, and make it fast."

I changed into a casual set of clothes. Sending Jordan the CCTV footage of Stefen's car number, I walked to Jacklyn's house, thinking about how I should talk to Jeremiah. Morning Stefen, now Jeremiah.

How can Jacklyn not know about me but know Stefen and Jeremiah?

I saw the door was closed, so I took a deep breath and knocked. I felt like a boyfriend who was going to convince his girlfriend's parents for marriage. After a few seconds, Jacklyn opened the door; she looked exhausted, her eyes so tired. I gave her a mild smile, assuring her that everything was going to be alright. She gave me a weak smile; if this weren’t about Jeremiah, I would have put her to bed, kissing and cuddling her.

When I was about to touch her cheek, a rough voice was heard from the background.

"What are you trying to do, Mr. Ren Nathen?"

Jeremiah was standing there, leaning against the back of the couch with his arms folded. He looked at Jacklyn and said, "Get here, baby."

Baby? BABY?! Who the fuck is he calling baby?

I glared at him, my anger boiling over with jealousy. I felt more furious seeing "my girl" follow what "he" said.

"This is not how you welcome your friend, Jerry," I said, stepping inside the house.

Jacklyn, who was about to sit on the couch, stopped in her tracks, shocked. Looking between me and Jeremiah, she asked, "Friends?"

"Why don't you go to your room, princess?" I asked.

"You don’t get to rule her around here, Ren."

At this point, he was irritating me, and I totally ignored him. I used a strict tone to warn her.

"Princess."

She nodded at me. When she was about to go, Jeremiah stopped her by holding her hand.

Why the fucking hell is he touching my girl? That is mine, YOU IDIOT!

I was at a point where I couldn't fight or talk sweetly.

I looked at their hands and then at Jacklyn. I think she understood. She instantly looked at him with pleading eyes and said, "I’m feeling weak, Jerry. Please, let go."

Hearing her, my heart grew heavy. I felt like the worst boyfriend, and I proved myself on our first day. She ran upstairs, and I watched her until she reached her room.

"Does Kavin know about this?" I asked.

I looked at Jeremiah as he walked toward the couch and said, "Jacklyn herself knows today."

"Stop the bullshit, Ren. Then why is she coming from your house?"

I took a deep breath, wanting to think straight. I sat on the couch, signing for him to sit, too. He looked at me for a few seconds and then sat down.

"Shall we start?"