Mr Scott

Beep beep beep beep

I open my eyes and immediately notice my exhaustion. I can't do anything consistent, not even hold my head up. It keeps lolling to the side. Although I can't hear straight, I can make out general details if I focus hard enough. For example, I can hear doctors and equipment moving around as it passes my room. The noise goes on for a while before starting to fade which must mean that there is no fourth wall and door, just an open hole. I hear machines and groans, gasps and cries. It's an emotional place.

"You," a weak voice calls.

"Me?" I ask slightly louder. I won't be able to talk a lot. This anesthesia is killing my energy.

"What you in for?"

"My eyes."

"What about em'?"

"They're broken. I'm getting them fixed. You?"

"Train."

I have to think of all the reasons someone could be in here for things train related. None of the ideas are anything but gruesome." Wanna elaborate?"

"I'm a conductor. I was-I was taking the last batch of people home and-and another t-train was coming back. I kept going, cautious as I could, but the other train came off the tracks. The-the turn we were on caused it to com-come into mine. We went down. Not long after, it started t-to fog I wanted to get up, but I hit my head. Took me a few tries to grab the strength. I was stumbling around, coughing out orders for emergency exits to be opened. I tripped, Fell back by the engines try'na make sure none of the young fellas were back there. I don't know what exactly I touched, but it was hot, probably on fire. Everything in there, including the air, was at least a hundred degrees. It got my arm, lickin' flames got my face. I got cuts on melting metal, soot everywhere. I was running out of that train like no tomorrow. Even outside, Smoke thickened fast and-and before I knew it, I was watching both flaming trains blow up, not but a hundred yards from my face. I pretty much passed out after that. Woke up, here I was, in the ICU."

"That's horrible, and amazing." I say, baffled, no wonder the voice across the hall was so quiet and scratchy.

"Yes, quite. But I lost an arm, have scars everywhere, and seized function in half my face. But you know what's kept me going kid?"

"I'd like to." I say, and I would. I'd consider how bad death could really be with all that.

"You got a kid?"

"No, sir."

"A man?"

"No, sir. I have a woman and friends."

"Well I got a boy and a granddaughter. Cutest damn thing in the world. Son is a good man too. Now I'm gonna give you some advise." I says a little softer, his weakening body begging rest. "You grab your Friends, and your lover, and you don't let go. I've had some bad things happen to me in my days, but as long as I could protect my family, I was ok. Unfortunately I didn't hold on tight enough."

"I'm sorry for whatever you've lost sir."

"That's a lot your sorry for then kid."

I was about to respond, but then I heard a voice that made me want to cry. "Baby!!" She sounded exhausted. Like she had spent her night crying.

"Hey Demi."

"How are you? Did it go well? Do you feel ill? Wha-"

"I'm fine. Are you alone?"

"Monica said she'd give me some time with you. She slept with me in your bed last night. I was having trouble."

"It's ok. Stay as long as you need."

"Where are you?" I was talking super slow, like I thought it would be Demi's birthday by the time I finished each sentence.

"I'm right here, I'm right here." She whimpers holding my hand. With a shaky hand, I flip it over and slowly lift it to my cheek, letting her soft skin glide against mine, and with the weakest motion, I kiss it, letting my lips linger. Then, I gently drop it, not even pretending to hide my struggle.

"Come here." I weakly say.

She gently bends down and squeezes my shoulders." I want to stay, but the doctors are only giving us a few minutes, you need to rest. You must be pooped."

"You can't sleep here?"

"You're in the ICU and undergoing surgery soon, so no. Otherwise I would."

"Ma'am." A voice calls.

"I have to go switch with Monica. I love you."

"I love you too."

One long, gentile kiss. It's all I got before she left, but it wasn't enough.

"Don't let her go."the man across the hall says when Demi leaves." That's a love you can't withdraw from."

"It's ok. I don't plan on letting go anytime soon. "

"Wanna know a secret?"

"What?"

"You only know how much something means to you until it's gone."

"I know that. And I love her to the moon and back."

"Then if you lose her, you will probably discover it's actually to Pluto. Take it from a fifty five year old man who lost the love of his life in 9/11. If you already say how much she means to you, it will become a whole lot more once you realize she got away. Once your lives have parted, or ended, piece by piece, you'll start to see a pile of what you are with her, and a pile when you're not. One pile will be a whole lot bigger than the other."

"Natalie." I voice cuts through my thoughts.

"Hey Monica."

"Demi used my time. Went over trying to get all she can. Are you ok?"

I hear the sad smile on her voice. She's tired too. She has to take care of all three of us. I feel so bad, yet so grateful.

"I just came out of surgery. How are you?"

"Tired."

"I know...how is she?"

"Hurting. But she'll be ok. Once you're back to the annoying bundle of stupidity and firecrackers you are. Did you know she whimpers your name in her sleep if she's worried? Because she does."No, I didn't know that. But it's cute that she does. Yet all I want to do is be there.

"Please take care of her. Please I'm-"

"You look like you're going to pass out. I know, just rest. Love you, idiot." She gives me a hug. Then Monica too, is gone.

"That a friend?" The man huskily asks.

"Yeah."

"Don't let her go either."

"Never. I'm Natalie by the way,"

"I'm Scott. But she's right. Sleep, kid.
----------------------------------------------special demi chapter next, or a drugged Natalie dream/nightmare? PLEASE LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS!!

Vote, comment, share, and follow if you like.