26: Feeling

IAN
Another morning, another day of being wheeled around, not even being able to feed myself. When my eyes opened, I could barely see Mickey laying on the floor, a blanket covering his body, a pillow underneath his head.

Ever since I ended up in hospital, I haven't been able to move my arms or legs. I hadn't even experienced feeling in my arms and legs. I'd lay in bed and feel like I was an armless and legless body.

But today, today was different. When my eyes opened, and I looked around, a tingly feeling entered my hands. I looked down at my pinkie and even though I couldn't see my pinkie moving, I could see the fabric moving underneath. With enough force, and enough will power, I focused on my left hand. I tried and successfully lifted up my left hand, but only barely. My hand lifted up only a few inches before dropping back onto the bed. Having feeling in my hand was exciting for me.

Feeling a burst of energy, I slowly moved my hands so that I could anchor myself. With enough energy, I sat up, quickly moving myself against the wall. I noticed that Mickey was still sound asleep, so I decided to surprise him.

Staying relaxed, I moved my right hand and lightly tapped my dresser, hoping that Mickey would wake up. Eventually, I watched as Mickey rubbed his eyes, seeing my finger tapping on the dresser.

"Holy shit. Ian, your finger! It's moving!" Mickey cheered in excitement as he ran out of the room, getting Mandy and Fiona's attention.

I smiled as Fiona and Mandy rushed in, watching as I slowly moved my hand back onto the bed.

"Your hands!" Fiona grabbed me and hugged me.

Hugging her, it felt...different. It was nice being able to hug someone, but hugging Fiona, it was like hugging a friend, someone that you're supposed to know, but don't.

"How's your memory?" Mandy asked.

"I can't remember much." I sighed, wishing that I could remember more.

Fiona looked at me with hope in her eyes. She desperately wanted for me to remember something else, something somewhat important, but it wasn't working. I had one memory about Mickey and Ned, but that was it.

The rest of the morning consisted of Mickey sitting next to me at the table, watching as I slowly but surely put food on a spoon and into my mouth. Occasionally my hand would spasm or just drop, and Mickey wouldn't hesitate to smile and help me.

Whenever I looked at Mickey, there was something about him, like I was seeing one half of his persona. It was like he was hiding a part of himself, maybe to please me, although it made no sense in my head, considering I couldn't remember much.

Once breakfast was done, Mickey wheeled me through the house and outside, getting help from Mandy to get me down the stairs and onto the path.

As we began our daily walk, for the first time, I could feel the cold breeze on my skin. I hated it, yes, but it felt nice to finally feel something below my chest. We made our way down the streets, passing houses upon houses. Mickey would make jokes, and I would laugh, pretending to get the jokes.

Mickey stopped wheeling me. He looked worried, or afraid, but after a few seconds, he exhaled, smiled and continued pushing me down the street. He wheeled me past a few houses, but stopped at a brick house with a brown door. When he stopped, I looked to my right, seeing a massive red stain on the cement behind the fence, near the stairs.

"Ian...are you okay?" Mickey looked at me. Something about that stain looked familiar.

"That red stain...it looks familiar." I focused on it, confused.

"Are- Are you sure?" Mickey chuckled.

"Yeah..." I couldn't put my finger on it. There was something about that stain that was nagging me, but it wouldn't click.

"Let's head home. We don't want you getting a cold." Mickey smiled before turning me around, starting our journey back home.

I hate to admit it, but I spent the journey home thinking about the stain. I was wracking my brain, trying to find the reason why the stain was so familiar, but then it finally clicked.