XXIV

"Hey, guys so my dads already gonna kill me so what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope quizzed

"Hey, guys so my dads already gonna kill me so what's this mandatory meeting about?" Pope quizzed. I was just as curious about why we were sitting around a fire surrounded by woods as Pope.

when John B said he had to tell us something i didn't expect it to be in the middle of no where. "JB. Just tell us." I demanded, tugging at the ends of my now flat hair.

John B glanced between the four of us, "So the gold never went down with the royal merchant." He announced.

"Oh my God. Here we go again with this," pope mumbled. Kiara shushed him. "Just let him speak." "Thank you." Jb smiled gently, "it's been here the whole time. It's on the island."

"How do you know?" I pondered, he was brining in my interest.  He put a finger up as in to say hold on a second, "So in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tammy, he was a space that survived the Royal merchant wreck." He explained, "check this out." He said handing me a old stained letter, I held it in my hands, it was fragile and was breaking off by the edges and the worlds were in a different languages, I raise an eyebrow.

"But dad he found the complete manifest. After that he brought his farm... Drum roll please, because that farm is.." JJ banged against the wood. "Taning hill plantation."

I flicker my eyes up from the paper in my hands to my brother. "You found it.. without me?" I question, he kind of just stares speechlessly. I stand up, anger arising in me. "You found it?... without me!" I repeat. getting the urge to hit him over the head, but JJ stood up and scooped me up by my torso.

"It wasn't on purpose Andie." John B weakly reasoned, he sets me down again and I shake my head in disbelief. "How do you find the gold by accident John B, did it ever occur to you I wanted to find it, like together?"

"It was dangerous Andrea! Do you know what I had to do for this?" He said snatching the paper out of my hand and waving it around. "I was trying to protect you!"

"How many times do I have to tell you JB, I don't need protection!" I ran a hand through my hair, scoffing. "I can't make my own decisions for God sakes."

"I second that," JJ winks, if it wasn't for being so angry I would have laughed.

I face back to John B, "God it's the same argument over and over again, don't you get tired."

"Oh! I'm sorry let me not protect you!" his words were laced with sarcasm.

"John B," the wind blew through the trees, and i let out a heavy sigh. "I'm not asking you to not care I'm asking you too stop acting like I'm incompetent!"

"Okay! Guys enough!" Kiara stands up for a moment waiting for the chaos to pass. I nod understandingly "I'm sorry," I breath out, sitting back down on the wooden log.

"Everyone just sit and let him explain." Kiara said sternly. John B booped his head in a thank you and cleared his throat, beginning to talk. "So after that he used his money to free ever more slaves and then he sold a shit ton of rice while pissed off the white planters and then they decided to lynch him."
all four of us got deadly silent and the only thing I heard, miles away was faint midsummer music and crickets chirping loudly. "So on the day they are coming to get him, he writes a letter to his son, as a farewell and in that letter was a coded message about where to find the gold."