Chapter Nine

Anita stone

Today is the day, Thaddeus warned me about.
I did my makeup the way I was taught and slipped on the dress decided for me before hand. It's a short black dress that reaches my mid thigh with a low neckline exposing my cleavage.

I tried to argue that it was way too much for dinner in a place I was supposed to be acting comfortable in but I was ignored.

I slipped on my heels, yes, I had to put heels on to  walk downstairs, mingle and then sit down and have dinner.

Thaddeus told me to act confidently as I did the night with Eric and Eva. He said, if you think it's too much, push alittle further.
It was the only word of advice he'd given me about tonight and I intend to roll with it.

All day I've been telling myself to envision the kind of woman Thaddeus would have on his arm and be that.
Be confident like a woman who'd been picked by a very very powerful man, be bold like a woman who's lover could kill anyone who dared stand in her way and be sexy because apparently that's what being almost a spade means.

Powerful wasn't a word I'd use to describe myself so I find it so difficult to get in that headspace but I know that I have no choice but to.

I took a deep breath and placed my hand on the stairway handle and walk down a couple steps just to steady myself before letting it go and continuing to walk down rather stiffly.

A small party had been thrown to welcome the guest so servers were out and about with champagne.

It makes me miss being able to ingest my confidence from a glass.

I shake off the thought.
I am Anita stone, soon to be Anita spade, I didn't need a drink to show everyone what I'm made of.

I flipped my hair over my shoulder and then I matched forward , passed the entry way and into the living room.

There's a scattered crowd of people all talking and drinking wine.

Thaddeus is there too, in a small group with Ali and some men I've never seen before.

He's listening to the man say something but his gaze seems unfocused that is until his eyes turn to me.

I walk straight to him, dodging the many bodies that were in my way, I walked with purpose, ignoring the ache in my feet.

As soon as I was close enough to their circle, the men move apart until Thaddeus alone stands in front of me.

He's wearing slacks and a pristine white shirt, with a couple buttons open to reveal a small gold chain between collarbones.
it's a simple outfit that does it's job of drawing attention to his dark hair and perfect face.

How could a man be so beautiful? The perfect mix of strong masculine features perfectly balanced feminine ones.
He's pretty in the way some male models are.

His eyelashes dark fan over bright eyes and his dark pink lips part just a little as he takes in my appearance.

When I reach him, I throw my arms up and wrap them around his neck, his arms wrap around my waist and I fall into his chest.
It's cute, it's intimate but without too much PDA.
Also I would be pushing it, if I couldn't even think about kissing Thaddeus without turning into a ball of nerves.

"I thought you'd never make it down, baby." The pet name shouldn't effect me but it does.
'Baby' Thaddeus just called me 'Baby.'
I try to quell the bubbling of excitement inside me.

"Wasn't it worth the wait?" I asked in a sultry voice that I didn't even know I had.
He takes my hand off his neck and spins me before pulling me back into him.