Chapter sixteen

Anita Stone

After seeing the two men in
A tight emotional embrace, I felt as if I could suddenly see all the signs I'd been ignorant to before.

Like last night when Thaddeus, Angela and pietro and I went out for dinner, Thaddeus excused himself to use the bathroom. In that very moment so did Alexi from a table a little further away to join him.

While Thaddeus remained collected upon his return sitting next to me and immediately taking my hand into his own. Alexi appeared about 10 minutes later frazzle and with his shirt buttoned incorrectly.

I couldn't stop looking at Thaddeus, wanting to see if his sun kissed skin would reveal any developing hickeys  from his meet up with his secret- not so secret any more- lover.

But the exposed skin on his neck never reddened and his lips themselves never darken from the pressure of another's.
They didn't appear ravished like the way a pair of lips that enticing deserved to be.

I tried not to sulk about the many times I'd caught them, gazing at each other with these secret glances as if they were the only people in the world.

I watched them play like boys in the field behind the house chasing a soccer ball after Thaddeus's workout that morning.
They'd seemed so joyous and Alexi seemed to run into his body whenever Thaddeus made a particularly funny joke.

And the man, the man who was nothing but a brick wall of pleasantries infront of me always caught Alexi when he laughed so hard his body doubled over.
And Thaddeus smiled too, smiled so genuinely and bright that he looked like he'd drunk from the fountain of youth.

I grimaced at the sight of Alexi's thin body slamming into Thaddeus's from laughing so hard.

Thaddeus couldn't possible be that funny. His idea of teasing was trying to force me to hang out with Angela.

I watched Alexi practically tear up at the comment the man made and I rolled my eyes.

"It's so obvious you're sucking his dick." I say out loud to no one but Jupiter who was nestled in my arms.

It's truly a surprise that no one has caught on to their relationship, I mean they were not exactly hiding their affections.
-

"What are you thinking about?" Thaddeus asked me, his ring caught a flash of light and reflected it.
"This painting I was commissioned," I told him as the car came to a stop infront of the red light.

"If it's too difficult maybe it'll be better to call the whole thing off." Thaddeus tells me and I turned my head to face him.

"What no? I need this commission."

"You won't need for anything. as long as you are under my roof you're mine to provide for." He reassures me but all I hear is 'you're mine'

Alexi turns to us, Thaddeus's words probably rubbed him the wrong way.
Just as he turned to look, he just as quickly turns back around, returning his eyes to the road ahead.

"No, I like the challenge and yeah the money's nice especially when you don't have any but there's a sense of accomplishment when an art piece is completed and adored...knowing your art will be there for someone everyday."

He lets out a hum.

"But you would know that, with the violin in your room.. It must feel just as thrilling to finish or perfect a piece." I try to relate to the man.

"I don't play." He tells me and I'm shocked.
"The violin was my mother's." He continues.

"Oh, I shouldn't have assumed. "