Where it all started.

LEAH'S POV

Ever since I can remember, my dream has been to become a Lioness. As I grew up, i saw the faces of Alex Scott and other people accomplish their dreams in football, and that was also mine. I played football ever since I was young - I always had a love for it. And now, here I am, sitting on my sofa next to my mum awaiting that call. The call to tell me I was going to be a lioness, just like the girls I watched from day one.

Amanda: "Leah. You have done nothing but work hard, and I am proud of you no matter what. A call up or not, you're still an inspiration, and it will help you to push harder my girl."

Leah: "I know mum, but this is the time. The time is now, this is my dream and if it doesn't happen now it never will."

Amanda: "Do you need a ham sandwich to calm these nerves or something?" My mum giggled. Not now mum.

Leah: "I'm going for a walk. I'll see you in a bit." I said, tossing my phone on the sofa before walking out the door.

I took a long walk around the local parks, looking at where it all began. Part of me began to lose hope, but then I remember how far I've come and how hard I worked. I know I can do this; I know I will get that call. As I was walking back, I got a gut feeling that I was about to miss the call that changed my life forever. Me, Leah Williamson, have the most accurate gut feelings ever. I began to take a brisk jog back, feeling the cold, September breeze against my cheeks. Something about my jog made me feel as if I wasn't running fast enough, and before I knew it i was sprinting down the hallway. I opened the door to my mum, talking to someone.

Amanda: "I'll get you to call her ba- never mind! She's here, Shes here!"

I expected to hear the voice of Sarina on the other end of the line. But I didn't. It was Beth. My long-time best friend, partner in crime in arsenal, Beth Mead.

Beth: "I got the call up Leah! I got the call!" she screamed down the phone. I screamed back at her, telling her how proud I was, and that I can't wait to watch her on the pitch. As happy as I was, knowing I still didn't have the call made me feel slightly uneasy. "...Wait. Did you not get the call?"

Leah: I sighed. "No Beth, nothing as of yet. I'm beginning to lose hope."

Beth: "Don't lose hope Le. You know me, I have the best intuition ever. I feel as if this year is going to be YOUR year, and you just don't know it yet. You'll find out in the next few minutes, I promise." she said. "I'll catch you in a bit, I have some calls to make!"

As Beth ended the call, i placed my phone on the end of the table to go get one of my 99p, no mayo ham sandwiches out of the fridge. As i took a bite from my sandwich, my phone began to vibrate. This was it. This was the call i had been waiting all day for. I ran and grabbed my phone, and answered it was quickly as possible.

Sarina: "Hey, is that Miss Leah Williamson?" I heard the voice say. Oh, My, GOD. It was Sarina.

Leah: "Yes hi, Sarina, right?" I said, shaking.

Sarina: "Indeed it is! I've been watching your performances over the last few months for Arsenal. I must say Leah, you are one of the most advanced, and positive players I have seen in my time." she said. Did SARINA... THE SARINA WEIGMAN JUST CALL ME ADVANCED?

Leah: "Thank you, that is such an honour to hear from you." I smiled, slightly squealing but not so loud that she could hear. My mum peering round the door frame, with the biggest glow on her face ever.

Sarina: "It is no problem at all Leah. That isn't the reason I'm calling though." It isn't? I thought to myself. My eyes started to well up, but Sarina spoke again. "I'd like to invite you to the Lionesses camp. I think you would be an incredible match for the team. I have a lot of good girls lined up for this season, but my confidence in you has to be the strongest, which is why I'd like to invite you not just as a lioness, but the captain of the lionesses too. What do you think?" OH. MY. GOD. I had no words. I tried to speak, but nothing was coming out. The smile on my face was priceless, I couldn't believe it.

Leah: "Oh my goodness. Sarina, I promise you won't regret this decision. Thank you so much, you have just made my entire life!" I squealed again. I had to call Beth.

Sarina: "All your managers will be in contact soon with dates Leah. I'd like to have a meeting with you beforehand though, just to enlighten you of my expectations, and to support you and your confidence in this role. How does tomorrow at 11am, here at the camp sound? You can be here for when the line-up goes live. I think it would be amazing to have you here as everyone finds out."

Leah: "I will be there. Thank you so much. I'll leave you to finish your calls. Thank you so much again Sarina!" I ended the call and ran to my mum. She didn't hear the captain part as of yet, and I couldn't wait to see her face when I told her. She pulled me into a hug and refused to let go, until i whispered:

Leah: "Mum... I have something else to tell you" i said quietly. She looked up at me with a confused look on her face. "I'm captain mum. I'm the FUCKING CAPTAIN" I screamed. So loud. Right into my mum's ear. 

Amanda: "You're having me on. I have never been so proud in my whole life. You're going to do good things in this role Leah, you deserve it more than anyone." her eyes started to well up as she hugged me again.

Leah: "I need to go call Beth mum. I think she's probably just as anxious as I was 5 minutes ago" I giggled.

I scrolled through my contacts and found Beth Mead. I went to press call, but I wanted to see her reaction, so quickly moved my finger to the facetime button. It rang for no longer than a second, before a cute, blonde Bethy appeared on my screen.

Leah: "I got the call Beth; I got the fucking call. I'm on the team. Me and you against the world Bethy. I'm so proud of us right now" I smiled. I saw tears form in Beths eyes as she told me how proud she was of me. "But that's not it. I am now CAPTAIN Leah to you, Beth. No funny business. I'm in charge." I winked at her, and I saw her mouth drop.

Beth: "You. I am so proud." her eyes started to stream with tears, and I cried with her too. "This is going to be the best year, ever." Beth said, smiling.