Real Family.

...continued in Alessia's Pov

The rest of the girls ran over to us after we shared one final kiss. We all had one, massive group hug. Here at England, I have finally found the family I always needed. Beth Mead is like the annoying older sister, Ella being my younger sister, Leah, my girlfriend, and Lucy and Keira, the mums I always longed for. The girls and I sat on the blanket, under the stars appreciating each other, sharing congratulations followed by a night of nothing but love and laughter. We have a game against Ireland in two days, so tomorrow was back to training and preparation before the game. We all headed to bed finally, about 9:30pm.

The entire way back to our room, Leah and I were nonstop smiling and holding hands. We reached our room, and Leah threw me onto the bed before climbing on top of me and holding me close.

"I feel on top of the world right now" she said, smiling at me. "Nothing can top this" I smiled.

"Mmm.. Winning the euros maybe but for now nothing could" Leah giggled. I rolled my eyes at her, and she continued to place kisses all over my face. All I could do was admire this beautiful soul who I was lucky enough to call my girlfriend, when I got a call. For fucks sake. I grabbed my phone and looked at the contact. It was my mum. Leah took my phone, and placed it aside, but I felt so good and confident right now I honestly didn't even care what she had to say, I just wanted to know. I took my phone from Leah and looked at the screen once again. "Are you sure answering is a good idea Less?" Leah said. I smiled at her, "I have you here with me. Whatever she has to say, having you next to me makes it okay." I'm not sure if I was ready for what was coming, however.

"Alessia?" My mum said from down the phone. "What would you like?" I replied, with clear confusion in my voice.

"I've seen it. On Ella's story. You and Leah, you're dating. She's your girlfriend. I told you, and you chose to disobey me. You're out of this family, don't ever call me your mum again, or your dad. He wants nothing to do with you, you hear me. Don't contact me again, you have no family now and you've chosen that. You're a disgra-" Leah ended the call. She said nothing but look at me to make sure I was okay. 

I let a tear slip down my cheek but smiled to reassure Leah that I sort of knew it was coming. She pulled my close and embraced me, rocking me from side to side. "You have a family. I am your family Less, and one day we will make our own family" Leah said to me. Hearing that come from her allowed me to take a deep breath and remember I do indeed have a family. There was no doubt hearing that from someone who gave you your life though, fucked me up. I moved away from Leah so I could breathe a bit, and I stood up. "Please stay where you are Lee. We've been here before - You know I'll be okay." I said, wiping the tears from my face. I grabbed a hoodie off of the chair and walked straight out of our room.

I find it beyond typical that my mum knew she could get under my skin this way, and that she'd choose to do it when my life is on a high. In all honesty, I was extremely hurt how someone can promise to love you your entire life and then switch up like that, which made me begin to lose trust in Leah's love for me. I felt kind of selfish thinking this, but can you blame me?

I took a lap of the pitch outside and sat at the very end. I was glad that Leah didn't follow me. I needed this time alone to think and process my feelings. I dug my head into my hands and cried more than I've ever cried before. I felt so defeated. I let it all out, so my eyes were bright red, and I could hardly breathe. I punched the floor a few times, and just laid there under the stars late at night thinking about what my life had become in just a short space of time. I was so lost being the happiest yet saddest I'd ever been.

That was when a figure was walking towards me in the distance. Fuck. It better not be Leah. I want this time alone. As I was about to tell the figure to go away, a timid woman appeared from the darkness. To my surprise, it was Sarina. As much as I loved Sarina, I was expecting her to have a go at me for being out so late at camp - to which she started to, before she realised the state I was in. Sarina knew nothing about what happened, and I decided it was only fair that I told her. She came and sat next to me, before giving me a gentle reassuring nudge. "Dear Alessia, what is up?" she said to me, clearly concerned.

I explained every single part of the situation to her. "She just called me, telling me to never call her my mum again, as well as my dad. She told me I was a disgrace and no child of hers, and I had no place in the family anymore. I guess it kind of hurt" I finished. Sarina looked taken aback, but the maturity of this woman reminded me she's probably dealt with similar before.

"Alessia. If I was to ask you right now, who you first thought of when I said the word home, what would your answer be?" Sarina asked me genuinely. It took me no time at all to give her an answer. "Leah." I spoke quietly. "And where is Leah?" 

"Here." I said, before standing up and wiping my tears. Sarina embraced me once more. "Alessia, I am in no doubt you're hurt, okay? But what is important is the people who show you how much you mean to them. The girls. I'm your family too. I may order you around and maybe put pressure on you, but I want what's best for you and that is what family does Alessia. You followed your heart, which is what got you here to meet Leah in the first place. You've proved to them that you don't need them, and that you should be proud of."

I hated to admit it, but she was right. She understood my hurt but turned it into a positive. We walked back together, and she gave me a pat on my back as she left to walk back to where she was staying on camp. I walked back up to the room, wiped my tears, and opened the door to my home on the other side.