Chapter 33 : MIT

Alex stood at the side of the stage, pulling at the tie that was around his neck as he found it extremely uncomfortable.

Tony had dragged Alex with him to present the MIT students with a new program that he had created in order to fund all of the student's projects, but then again he always brought Alex along to things like this.

Normally he wouldn't mind but after the everything that happened at Lagos, he'd much rather be back at the compound with Wanda.

He wanted to ask about the thing that happened in lagos with the soldiers and the weapon but he thought it must some kind of misunderstanding he knew Tony wouldn’t make weapons to target him , so he gave up on asking and told Friday to strengthen the defense in his warehouse

"That's how I wish it happened." Tony began as the projection of him and his parents came to an end.

"Binarily Augmented Retro-Framing.. or BARF. God, I gotta work on that acronym. An extremely costly method of hijacking the hippocampus to... clear traumatic memories." Tony continued to explain, attempting to blow out a fake candle, shrugging as he watched the projection start to disappear around him.   

Alex's gaze was averted from Tony on the stage as he turned around, hearing a commotion behind him. He watched as two security guards began removing a man from the building, raising a brow as he heard the man shouting and struggling in the security guard's grip.   

One of the employee's walked away from the scene that the man was causing and Alex grabbed her attention, calling her over.   

"It was MY original design! Mine!" He heard the man shout before being pulled out the doors.   

"Who was that?" Alex asked the woman.   

"Quentin, I think his name is?" The woman answered. "If you ask me, I think it's good that he's gone. That man clearly has a screw loose."   

Alex scrunched his brows and nodded slowly, someone called the woman over and she gave Alex a small smile before leaving. He turned back around and started to listen to Tony's speech again.   

"As quiet as it's kept, the challenges facing you are the greatest mankind's ever known. Plus, most of you a broke." Tony spoke, a smile gracing his lips as the crowd of students laughed.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Rather, you were. As of this moment... every student has been made an equal recipient of the inaugural September Foundation Grant."  Some gasps and low murmuring was heard throughout the crowd.

"As in... all of your projects have just been approved and funded."   

The audience erupted in cheers and they all began clapping their hands. Tony looked over his shoulder at Alex at the side of the stage and wiggled his eyebrows at the boy. Alex chuckled and began to clap too, proud that Tony was using his money for good.    

"No strings, no taxes, just reframe the future! Starting now-"    

Alex's smile slowly faded when he noticed how Tony had suddenly fallen silent. He followed where Tony was looking and his eyes landed upon the teleprompter, seeing that Tony was now supposed to be introducing pepper. Who didn't show up.    

"Shit." Alex mumbled.    

Tony inhaled sharply before speaking. "Go break some eggs."