Chapter 42 : France

France ended up being a possibility.

Once the team had taken down the trafficking ring in Italy later that month, Steve was keen on the idea of moving on to France. Besides, it was best to keep moving.    

Steve also got a tip on some criminals who were smuggling Chitauri tech in the country. That would be their next mission.   

A week went by. Alex and Wanda decided to have a night out. She always wanted to visit the Eiffel Tower, and Alex was more than obliged to take her to Paris.    

It was in the middle of the night when the couple arrived there. No tourists. No distractions. Just them.    

Wanda rested against the railing, looking at the skyline through the metal fence. It looked beautiful. Despite the circumstances they were in, she still enjoyed the sight.    

Alex walked up to the railing, standing beside Wanda with hands in his coat pockets. He gazed at the view as well.    

"I'd say this view ain't that bad." He said.    

"Come on, it's amazing." She replied.    

"It is...", he turned to Wanda and grabbed both her hands, "But I already have someone beautiful I can look at everyday."    

She blushed, but laughed right after. Alex chuckled as well upon hearing his own remark.    

"Was that good?" He asked.    

"Splendid. Someone's been getting tips from the Hallmark movies."    

"That's all they play on TV back at the hotel."    

They shared another laugh, and Alex turned to the view of the city again. He leaned against the railing.    

"You're right, though. This view is amazing." He rubbed his hands together, "Too bad we can't enjoy the rest of the city as much as we would."

They were still on the run and needed to be in hiding. What could've been a great trip containing walks during the day and reservations at venues was changed to night strolls in empty streets and visits like these at the Eiffel Tower.

Maybe one day they can still travel the world together under different circumstances. The government can't hold a grudge against Captain America and his colleagues for too long, right? 

Wanda caressed Alex shoulder, "It doesn't matter to me, Alex. Like I said before, it doesn't matter where we are or how we do it, as long as we're together."

Alex faces her and gave a smile. He felt the same way. Their lips met and the two kissed.                 

The couple stood there for some time gazing upon the stars and skyline of Paris. They needed to get back to the hideout with Steve and the others, so Alex wanted to leave.    

Suddenly, a voice was heard behind them.    

"Wanda. Alex."    

Alex grabbed onto Wanda as the couple got startled. They looked back and saw a Caucasian man with blonde parted hair and a brown coat. He looked familiar, but the two couldn't tell.