five - sunflowers and domineering notes

The next morning, Akshara awoke to the sound ringing of her doorbell. She tightened her robe around her as she went to grab the door.

Except there was no one there, but sitting in middle was a large bouquet of sunflowers. She poked her head out left and right to see who must have left them there, but to no avail.

She picked up the bouquet of flowers and brought them inside, setting them on the white marble of her kitchen island counter.

Akshara whiffed in the the scent of the sunflowers into her nostrils and sighed. Her favourite. Reminded her of sunshine, bright and colourful.

A little note was attached to the bouquet, hidden in between the wide array of flowers. She turned the note up, and smiled reading what was written inside the note:

'Marry me.'

Abhimanyu Birla.

Not asking her a question, nor making a request. Just outright staking a claim.

Despite what she had told him last night. She needed time. They needed time.

But he also did promise her that he'd be relentless till she said yes. And he was doing just that.

Akshara took out her phone and dialed Abhimanyu's number. The phone had barely began ringing when she heard his voice on the other end of the line.

"Marry me." His voice was husky and assertive.

Akshara bit her lip and giggled. "Please Abhimanyu, like I told you yesterday, I barely know you. I need some time." She responded.

"And like I said I'll keep asking until you say yes. You can't stop me from asking." Abhimanyu Birla, ever so domineering.

"It's not like you'll listen to me anyway." She sighed.

Abhimanyu smirked. "Precisely. You will marry me, Akshara. So might as well both us both out of our miseries."

Akshara shook her head in denial into the phone. "I'm not going to say yes, Abhimanyu." At least not yet.

"Very well then, answer the door then."

Akshara's eyebrows furrowed. "The door?"

And just as Abhimanyu had indicated, her doorbell rang. She opened the door to see instead of one bouquet of sunflowers, there were now two.

"Abhimanyu..." She felt exasperated. Did the man ever rest?

"Marry me."

"You aren't even asking me. You're just stating it!" She accused.

"Because it's a fact. Plain and simple."

"Abhimanyu."

"Akshara."

She sighed. This man was impossible. "I have to get ready for work." And she needed a breather from him. Space.

"Ah. Go on then, I won't stop you."

"Don't you have to get to work too?" She asked, curiously, trying to prolong the conversation.

"I'm already at work, baby." Her heart fluttered at the word baby.

She turned around to check the clock hanging on the kitchen wall. 8am.

"It's just 8am. You're at work this early?"

"I had an important video conference with investors from London."

Akshara's mouth formed into an O. "Right, sorry. I'll let you go now."