twenty one - petty vengeance

Abhimanyu strolled into their dimly lit bedroom glancing around, searching for Akshara. And he finally chanced upon her cowering in one dark corner of the room, her back pressed against the wall, with her knees pressed against her chest, rolling herself up in a fragile ball. Her expressions were stoic and her eyes lifeless as she sat there, staring at the blank space ahead of her.

Abhimanyu sat down on the ground beside her, leaning into her. "Akshara..." For the first time in his life he felt uncertain about how he would deal with her. What he would say to her.

This —right here —right now was precisely the moment he had been avoiding meeting the Goenka's. That is why before allowing Akshara to call the Goenka's over for dinner, he had warned Manish Goenka about keeping quiet about their deal. Only he hadn't counted on Kairav Goenka for being a righteous and caring brother who couldn't leave his younger sister in the dark.

Abhimanyu had been ready to fight the world for Akshara. No way in hell would he have let the Goenka's take Akshara away from him. Not before and definitely not now when she had become so much more than a mere obsession to him.

In his own messed up way, she completed him.

"Akshara...," He tried again.

"I should hate you. I should hate you for the way you control me. I should hate you for the way made me obsessed with you. I should hate you for becoming my salvation. I should hate you for becoming my addiction. I should...but I can't. I can't hate you for the way you take care of my every need. I can't hate you for the way you allow yourself to become vulnerable around me. You made me fall in love with you, Abhimanyu. So deeply, so madly, so irrevocably that I hate myself for loving you." Akshara confessed, blinking her lashes, as she stared intently at Abhimanyu, breaking her silence.

"I didn't ask for you to fall in love me." Abhimanyu stated simply, staring back into her soulless eyes.

"Oh, I'm sorry. It's my fault that I didn't ask your permission before falling in love with you." Akshara scoffed, her face marred with heartbreak and agony.

Love. He was incapable of love. No one had ever loved him before. He didn't even know what love was. So then how? How could Akshara have fallen so easily in love with him? What did he even do to make her fall in love with him?

"Akshara...," He had no idea what to say. What could he even say?

She shook her head, moving out of his reach. "Leave. Just leave me alone please." She pleaded, her voice beginning to break and her eyes becoming moist.

"If tonight, I had said I wanted to leave, to go home with Bade Papa and Kairav bhaiyaa, would you have let me go?" Akshara asked, wiping away the tears from her eyes.

"No." Abhimanyu said without hesitation. "No, I wouldn't have." I couldn't have let you go.

"Why not?"

Because...because...because why Abhimanyu? Why would you not have let her leave? Come on Abhimanyu, tell her. Tell her you couldn't let her leave because you were addicted to her. Because you needed her. Tell her you couldn't let her leave because you had fall— "Because you're mine."

"Your what? Little play thing? Is that all I am to you?"

"I never said that!" Abhimanyu exclaimed, hurt that she would think so low of herself.

"Our entire relationship —if you could even call it that —the proposal —the side of you that you let me see..." ...the wounded child hiding behind the mask of a heartless, controlling monster, "...was it all a lie?"

"No. It was not a lie."

"And you want me to believe you? How? How do you expect me to believe you?" Akshara asked, bitterly.