fourty - welcome to our world, baby a

"You know, I think I'm staring to like the sight of you with a rounded belly, pregnant with my baby." Abhimanyu uttered out of the blue, as he watched Akshara comb her long silky dark hair in front of the vanity mirror.

"Oh really. Well, this will be the last time you'll be seeing me with a rounded belly before Bean arrives, so look all you want." She teased, knowing full well they'd probably be having at the least one more baby after Bean in the future.

"Last time? I think I may want to keep you barefoot, pregnant and off your toes for the next few years, Mrs. Birla." Abhimanyu teased her back, plopping up on his elbows on the bed to witness the sight of her.

"Says the man who didn't even want kids."

The playful smile on Abhimanyu's face diminished just as Akshara turned around apologetically, upon realizing the words that had just been uttered out of her mouth.

"I'm sorry, Abhimanyu, that's not what I meant."

"It's okay. You're right. I didn't want kids. But...now I do." He admitted, finally at peace with himself. "Before, the idea used to be so foreign for me, lethal, unbearable even. But these 9 months, having prepared for the baby, reading those pregnancy books, building the baby's nursery, I...I just feel...content you know. Confident that I'll be the best father to our baby...and any other children you'll be willing to give me."

Abhimanyu got up from the bed and walked over to Akshara, holding her petite hands in his large ones. "If I have you by my side, I know I'll be fine. You are my anchor, Akshara."

Akshara smiled at Abhimanyu, her eyes growing moist. "And now I need you to be mine."

Abhimanyu frowned at Akshara just as she let out a loud screech, just as he heard the strong gushing of water dripping onto the floor. Akshara held her belly with one hand. "I think it's time for us to meet Bean."

Akshara cried out in pain at another contraction, clutching her belly just as Abhimanyu lifted her up in his arms and made a run for towards the car, where Tina had been placed on standby, for exactly a night like this.

"Rosa! Hospital bag!" Abhimanyu yelled just as Rosa zoomed out her room carrying Akshara's hospital bag with her.

Tina opened the door to the rear of the car just as Abhimanyu helped Akshara sit comfortably in the car before getting in after her. Tina held onto the hospital bag and made a beeline towards the City Hospital. Overprotective Abhimanyu had Tina do practice runs to the hospital, timing it every time so it took no more than 25 minutes on the dot.

"It's okay, baby. It's okay." Abhimanyu wiped Akshara's hair away from her damp forehead, whispering words of affirmation as they went.

~*~

As soon as the car came to a halt in front of the hospital, Tina was out of the car and helping opening the rear door for Abhimanyu and Akshara whilst the hospital staff were ready and waiting with a wheelchair for their arrival.

As soon as Abhimanyu had a visibly in pain Akshara seated on the wheelchair, he walked step by step with the nurses as they rode up to the second floor of the hospital, which he had reserved specially for Akshara and their baby. No other patients were allowed on the second floor except for them.

"Abhi, it hurts." Akshara moaned, clutching her contracting belly, as they helped Akshara into the bed. Abhimanyu held her hand, gently rubbing circles with his thumb pad, trying to remain calm.

He hated seeing Akshara in pain. "It's okay. We'll be meeting Bean soon!" He remained hopeful, trying his best to smile through watching his Akshara in pain for their baby.