seven - lion's den: enter here, no exit

Akshara watched with widened eyes, her mouth agape as they drove into a gated community —except there was no community but just acres of land in between which Abhimanyu's mansion was situated.

And she wasn't kidding when she said mansion because just the drive to get to the front door was about 2 kilometers long. Not to mention the security guards, dressed in black three piece suits and matching sunglasses and pristine, shiny, black shoes who were guarding the gates.

"Do you live in a house or in a fortress?" She asked as she leaned against the window, looking out as they crossed the front yard where she noticed more security guards patrolling the premises.

"Quite a comedienne you are, Akshara." Abhimanyu retorted, not cracking a single smile of amusement.

Akshara glanced at Abhimanyu before placing her hand over his in reassurance.

"I'm fine, Abhimanyu. See, I'm perfectly alright. Nothing happened to me. See." She smiled at him, urging him to smile back, to reassure her that he was okay.

He returned her smile with a nod and the slight upwards tilting of the corners of his mouth. He was satisfied to know Akshara was safe but by no means was he elated.

Their car came to a halt at the front doorstep and both Abhimanyu and Akshara got out of the car. Akshara looked around in amazement at the front entrance of his mansion.

"Akshara?" Abhimanyu broke Akshara from her thoughts. She looked down at his outstretched hand. She gave him a soft smile and placed her hand in his. Abhimanyu wrapped his large fingers around her tiny ones and gave it a hard squeeze.

As they walked up the steps, hand in hand, Akshara suddenly started to feel like a fish out of water. She didn't know why her heart started to race and all she could hear was her hearting going thump, thump, thump. She started to feel wary, almost as if she was about to enter the lion's den with no exit in sight.

The door was opened by a man wearing black trousers, white shirt, a black vest, a red bow tie, and white gloves. To say that Abhimanyu preferred his staff to be dressed accordingly was an understatement.

One thing she'd come to realize in the short span of time she's known Abhimanyu, was that he was very particular about certain things. And that's why thus far, she had only ever seen him in dark coloured three piece suits with not even a hair out of place.

There were moments where she was feeling bold and wanted to caress his hair into disarray but then backed out in cowardice. She didn't know if she had that right yet. Or if she ever would.

To put it mildly, Abhimanyu's mansion of a house was huge. The ceilings were tall and it was furnished head to toe in paintings and artifacts. It was minimalistic, modern, sophisticated and sleek. Just like him. The house looked like it belonged to Abhimanyu Birla —the C.E.O., no doubts about it.

Abhimanyu watched Akshara's eyes wander at the interiors of his houses. He could tell that whilst Akshara was curious, she did not seem impressed by the luxuries which would be bestowed on her.

"Indulge me, Akshara. What is going on in that head of yours?" It was less of a question and more of a statement.

"Umm. Nothing. I'm just admiring your house." The words came out of her mouth more quickly than she'd intended.

"And?" He probed further.

Akshara sighed. Abhimanyu was relentless till he got the answers he was looking for. "And nothing. Nothing at all."

She looked at him with pleadingly, hoping he'd not push for any further answers.

Abhimanyu eyed Akshara warily before nodding his head. "Very well then. Let me show you to your room." He replied, with pressed lips.