thirty three - moving on

Abhimanyu felt the prickle of Akshara's hand moving, awaking him. He darted his eyes to hers, becoming alert of his surroundings.

"Hi, baby." He whispered, afraid to disturb the pin drop silence in the room.

Akshara took a deep breath, before mumbling incoherently. "Baby..."

"The baby's fine! Absolutely fine! I even saw it. Him...her...the baby. It's just a tiny dot one the screen. A blip!" Abhimanyu consoled her, just as tears rolled down Akshara's eyes at the mention of the baby.

"The blood?" She asked, pushing Abhimanyu's Hans which rested on her belly away from her.

Abhimanyu fisted his hand to his side as Akshara pushed his hand away away from her. "Stress. The doctor said a little bit of bleeding is normal but the stress caused the bleeding to increase."

Akshara wiped her tears away and nodded her head. "Thank you." Her voice was emotionless, as she recalled his words from earlier, wishing her baby away.

"Akshara, what I said earlier,..those words...I'm sorry. I didn't mean them. I don't know why I said them, but..."

"The fact that they even crossed your mind, Abhimanyu, is enough to tell me that a small part of you wanted the baby to go away. I'm terribly sorry that your wish could not come true." She responded bitterly, looking away from him.

Abhimanyu watched on helplessly, trying to figure out the right words to say. Akshara was right. A part —the most demonic, monstrous part of him did wish for the baby to go away.

But not anymore.

Not since he saw the little blip on the screen.

Before he could answer, the Dr. Rastogi walked in with two nurses. "It's good to see you are awake, Akshara."

"Doctor. How is the baby?" Akshara asked the doctor.

It pinched Abhimanyu that Akshara didn't believe him, but he deserved her distrust. He hadn't given her any reason to trust him. Especially regarding the baby.

"The baby is fine, and it's growing just as we want it too. Everything looks normal. It was just stress which caused the bleeding to accelerate —so like I told Mr. Birla, stress for you is a strict no-no or else I will be forced to put you on bedrest for the remainder of your pregnancy and trust me, it isn't as fun as it sounds."

Akshara nodded her head, relieved by the news. "Thank you."

"We are going to keep you overnight just to see how you're progressing and then you can have an early discharge at around 9am tomorrow, okay?"

"Thank you. Then you for saving my baby, doctor."

"You're welcome. But you should also be thanking your husband, Mr. Birla for rushing you to the hospital when he did. He did everything he could to make sure you and your baby had the best care."

Akshara glanced over at Abhimanyu, fisting her hands on her stomach just as he lowered his lashes, too ashamed to face her.

As Dr. Rastogi turned to leave, she informed Abhimanyu: "Mr. Birla, please go home and take some rest. You have been up since this morning. We don't want your health to deteriorate along with Mrs. Birla's."

"But Akshara..." He insisted, looking at Akshara worriedly.

"Go home. You need your rest. I'll be fine." Akshara bit out, not looking at Abhimanyu.

Abhimanyu moved to argue with Akshara but resisted, not wanting to stress her out. Thus, he held himself back, just nodding his head. "Okay." Abhimanyu moved towards the exit, following Dr. Rastogi out of the room. "Call me if you need anything." He informed Akshara and she just nodded her head, half heartedly, not even listening to any word he was speaking.