twenty four - the future of our past

"Is this bastard even my child?" His father bit back at his mother.

"How could you even say that?" 5 year old Abhimanyu's mother engulfed him in her embrace, covering his ears from his father's bitter accusations.

"I don't know. With the amount of men you hang out with, I wouldn't be surprised you trying to pawn off his kid onto me."

"Work! I work with them! I have to work with them because you refuse to! I work hard to put food on our table, to feed my child!" His mother yelled.

"Oh really? And the fact that you stay out till 8pm? What about that? And the different men who come to drop you off every night?" His father's voice slurred. Drunk. His father was drunk, heavily drunk.

"Our house falls in their way and rather then me having to take the bus at night, they offered to drop me home! And they're all married!" His mother explained herself, just as Abhimanyu shifted his eyes between his parents, praying that they ceased fire.

"Liar! Quit your job! I don't like you working there!"

"I will quit the day you decide to start working to put food on our table!"

"You bitch!" Abhimanyu flinched and held his mother tighter as his father lurched forward, his hand smacking his mother across the face, making both of them lose balance.

Abhimanyu and his mother fell to the ground with a loud thud. Abhimanyu looked up to see his father unsteadily pulling his mother by the hair, making her stand up.

"Get up, you shameless woman." His father pulled harder on his mother's hair, making his mother yelp in pain.

"No please. Please let mommy go." Abhimanyu begged, holding his mother tight, trying his best to protect her.

"Let her go, you brat. Leave! Or I'll kick you too!" His father warned him.

Abhimanyu shook his head, unwilling to let his mother go, making his father's anger escalate. And that's when he felt it. His father's shoe hitting him on the stomach, the force pushing him from his mother; the pain unbearable.

Abhimanyu whimpered, tears rolling down his cheeks as he clutched his stomach to breathe through the pain. He watched as his father dragged his mother by her hair into the bedroom where the cycle of domestic abuse continued.

That was first time Abhimanyu was introduced to the world of abuse. But it wouldn't be the last.

~*~

"Where is he? Where is Abhimanyu Birla?" Akshara questioned the girl at the reception, eager to get to Abhimanyu. She needed to know he was doing alright. Needed to know he would make it. He had to! For her!

"Sorry, who are you?" The receptionist asked.

"I'm his fiancée." Akshara held out her hand, flashing the receptionist with her ring. "Now will you please tell me where my fiancé is?"

"Akshara Ma'am! This way!" Sanjay hurriedly walked towards Akshara, beckoning her to follow him.

"How is he?" Akshara asked, trying to calm her nerves.

"Still in the operation theatre. They won't tell us anything as of now."

"Do you know how it happened?"

"Ma'am, they say Abhimanyu sir was speeding, and his car hit a pot hole and then ended up getting rammed by a truck. The truck driver was nice enough to stop and help bring sir to the hospital."