8

MICKEY
The moment I got into my room, I didn't bother shutting the door. Terry wasn't home, so there wasn't any chance of him seeing the wedding ring on my finger. Every time I looked down at the ring, my brain told me to take it off, but my heart told me to leave it on.

I looked down at Ian's wedding ring, knowing how pissed off he was. I lit a cigarette and put it in my mouth, trying to distract myself. As I wiped tears from my eyes, I looked around, seeing Mandy standing in the doorway, a look of annoyance on her face.

"What the fuck do you want?" I hissed, trying not to cry so Mandy wouldn't make fun of me.

"Really? You had to pull the husband card?" Mandy rolled her eyes.

"The fuck you talkin' about?" I asked, confused.

"Ian texted me after I stole his number from your phone. He told me everything. You really had the audacity to finally admit that you're his husband and that you should have a say in where he is employed. How fucking stupid are you?" Mandy slapped my shoulder.

"Ow! The fuck?! Okay, yes, I know that I fucked up, okay Mandy? I don't need you coming in here and telling me shit that I already know. I especially don't need you coming in here and slapping me!" I growled, facing away from her.

"You're a fucking asshole, Mick." Mandy hissed before she left me alone, shutting my door.

I looked at the window, putting both my hands under my eyes, feeling the water works coming.

"Shit." I exhaled. Ian had really turned me into a softie, motherfucker.

When I thought about the wedding day itself, my mind kept insisting that Ian was the one who suggested getting married, but something didn't feel right about that.

Looking back at the photo that Ian had sent to me, I was shocked to see that both Ian and I wore fancy suits. I mean, most couples would wear a shirt and jeans, but no, Ian and I, being the drunk dickheads that we were, we had to show up in fancy suits.

I was wracking my brain, trying to figure out the events that led to my marriage to Ian. I laid on my bed, trying to retrace my steps. Figuring that I wasn't going to get any progress by laying on my bed, I put Ian's wedding ring in a safe place before putting on a jacket and heading outside, needing some fresh air to get my brain working.

Walking into the main section of Chicago, I looked at my surroundings, seeing a few abandoned buildings that looked like they were one wrong move from caving in. I looked up at the taller buildings, one of them looking familiar.

As I stopped and stared at a particular roof of the building, something flashed in my brain.

Ian and I sat on the roof of an abandoned building, a beer in our hands as we watched the sun set.

"Did you know that if you and your partner in crime got married, and then you did something like super illegal, then you can't legally testify in court against each other?" Ian put a cigarette in his mouth, lighting it with Frank's unused lighter.

"How the fuck do you know that?" I asked, laughing as I sipped my beer.

"I've had to read up on laws, considering the amount of times anyone in my family has gotten arrested or gone to jail." Ian laughed, chucking a pebble off the roof.

"I think marriage is stupid. Why the hell do people need the fucking government to prove that they love each other enough to spend the rest of their lives together?" I scoffed.

"So, you wouldn't get married...ever?" Ian asked, curious.

"Well, I'd probably have to, seeing as my dad would shoot me dead if I didn't." I smiled, putting my beer down.

I blinked a few times, making my way to the building. As I got higher and higher, I was remembering more.

"Would you marry a guy?" Ian questioned.

By this point, both of us were heavily drunk. Ian was on the verge of falling off the roof, as he couldn't stop swaying from side to side. I, on the other hand, was acting sober, but was clearly drunk, because every now and then, I'd start humming a random tune that I had heard coming from Mandy's room.

"I wouldn't be opposed, although my dad would be." I laughed, leaning back, falling onto the tiles.

I sat down on the edge of the roof, feeling a sense of deja-vu.

"You would marry a guy, if you loved him?" Ian laid down, looking at me.

"Yeah. Maybe. Why? Do you want to get married?" I sat up, confused.

"Yes. Eventually, I want to get married and settle down. Although, settling down includes kids and I'm gay, so marrying a dude would limit my ability to have kids." Ian laughed, playing with his shirt.

"You and me. We could get married." I laughed.

"Wait, what? Did Mickey Milkovich, the homophobic gay guy, just offer me marriage?" Ian's eyes widened.

"I mean, like you said, if either of us ever did something illegal, we couldn't testify against each other, so why not?" I stood up, helping Ian off the edge.

"All right. Chicago. Same-day weddings." Ian smiled as we got down to the ground, finding the nearest computer.

My eyes widened at the view of Chicago that I was looking at. I was the one who had suggested getting married to Ian. I initiated the decision to get married to Ian. Holy shit.

"You can get a marriage license at the courthouse, get married in the same building." I smirked.

"How the hell do you know that?" Ian asked, confused.

"It's how my parents got together." I smirked as me and Ian walked back to Ian's house, finding a computer.

"Download application for wedding license. Boom." Ian went online, still trying to see clearly, although, his vision was a little impaired from all the alcohol he had consumed.

Within a few hours, Ian and I had rented suits, bought wedding rings with drug money and had gone down to the courthouse to make our marriage official. How they had done this all during one night, and very drunk, would be unknown to anyone.

By 6 am, Ian and I were officially married in a court of law. We had wedding rings and a marriage certificate to prove it.

"Holy fuck, my dad is literally going to kill me if he finds out." I laughed as I wrapped my arms around Ian's neck, placing a passionate kiss on his lips.

"Fiona might just do the same thing!" Ian laughed, letting me kiss him. We entered the Gallagher household, Ian yelling for anyone to make a noise. When no one answered, Ian and I assumed that the house was empty, leaving me and Ian to enjoy some honeymoon time.

My heart dropped. Ian was going to be pissed when he found out that I was the one who suggested marriage. It's one thing to drunkenly suggest marriage, but it's another thing to actually get married, be unable to remember it and then try to purposefully forget that I'm married to Ian. Maybe I could tell him, and then apologise, but that would have to wait, as I needed to give Ian as much space as possible, for however long he denied being married to me for.

———

IAN
For the first time in a week, I felt free. I was no longer burdened with having to decide whether or not to wear my wedding ring. Yes, Mickey was still legally my husband, but in my mind and in my life, he wasn't. He refused to accept me being his husband, so I was going to do the same thing.

All I really had to worry about was Frank accidentally telling someone.