VI

What the fuck was that?

I run my hands through my hair, still leaning up against the back of my bedroom door. I bring my hand up to my forehead and drag it down my face, stopping to let it rest over my mouth. The pace of my blinking speeds up.

"That wasn't...we didn't almost..." I mumble quietly. "No. I think I'm reading too much into it."

Besides— he has a girlfriend...right?

-

I wake up to the sound of knocking on my door. When I open my eyes, I see that it's cracked open slightly.

A familiar voice comes from the other side of the door. "Erin? You up? Can I come in?"

I rub my eyes. "Oh, yeah! Come on in."

John walks into the room. He's still in his pajamas. "Morning! I didn't wake you, did I?"

"I was in and out before you knocked. So technically no," I reply. "It's no worries, though! I needed that to fully wake myself up. Sleep well?"

He cracks his knuckles. "Yes. I was quite tired. I've actually been up for a little while. I've got a bit of a headache from drinking last night. I could swear I didn't have nearly enough to warrant one," he laughs.

"I'm fine! Maybe it's just you," I joke back.

"Possibly..." he trails off. He sighs. "Anyways, you hungry? I know you sort of just woke up."

I sit up. "Actually yeah. I could go for some of those waffles right now," I answer. "Don't quite feel like making a mess, but hey! It'll be fun, right?"

John smiles. "Absolutely. Do you need a minute to get ready?" he asks.

"Oh, no! It's fine. You can stay if you want. I'm just going to put on a robe and my slippers, which should take no more than like, 30 seconds?"

"Okay," he replies. "Did you sleep well?"

Did I?

"Yeah, I did."

I sat there for nearly an hour trying to fall asleep because I almost fucking kissed you. But yeah, I slept great.

"Well, that's good," he adds.

I slip my left arm into the robe. "Uhuh. I'm ready now."

"Great!"

We walk into the kitchen.

"I'm going to grab the waffle iron. You just get the mix out of the cabinet, yeah?" I ask him.

"Got it," he answers.

"Alrighty," I say as I set the iron down on the counter. "We need oil, an egg, and milk. Do you think you could manage the egg and the milk?"

He nods. "I think I could."

I grab the oil from the cabinet and set it down next to the iron.

"Alright. Let's get a bowl," I start as I reach for a large bowl, "and then a whisk to mix it." I open the drawer and take out a wire whisk. I then take out a measuring cup.

John picks up the box and opens it. "Shall I do the honors?"

"Of course. Go ahead!" I reply.

He pours some of the mix into the measuring cup and then dumps it into the bowl.

I measure out the oil. Before I dump it in, I turn to John. "It's quiet. Should we put music on?"

"Absolutely we should."