XIV

January 17th, 1984

I bite my nails as I sit in the passenger seat of the taxi taking me to the airport. It's been almost a month since I've seen John. And Janine.

God, Janine.

I'm afraid of how I'm going to act around him now. A lot has changed since I saw him last. I don't even know what to do. Do I tell him? And if I do, how? It's all so confusing, and I'm not enjoying a single second of it. I'm scared that I'm gonna end up blurting it out and ruining everything.

My thoughts are interrupted as the cab pulls up to the terminal. I thank the cab driver and quickly make my way to the runway. I spot the familiar plane and walk over. The crew takes my bags and I step inside.

I'm immediately greeted by Andy. "Erin!" He walks over and gives me a hug.

"Hey!" I smile. "How was your Christmas?"

"Good, good," he answers. "Looking for John?"

I shrug. Not really. "I suppose. Where is he?"

"He's over in the front, I think," he replies. I nod. As I start to walk over, he stops me. "Wait."

"What?"

"I'd be careful," he says.

"Why?" I ask, worried.

"He's with everyone's favorite bitch. Just a heads up," he explains.

"Oh," I say. "Thank you." I turn around and continue to walk toward the front of the plane, eventually spotting John and Janine sitting down and talking.

She's all over him. She's holding one of his hands with her own, laughing and leaning on his shoulder. The ring on her finger shines in the light.

I'm sick to my stomach.

I decide to play nice and hopefully keep myself covered. "Hey," I say softly.

The two of them turn around and Janine stands up. "Erin!" She walks over and gives me a hug.

I'm stunned at first. What the fuck? I awkwardly hug her back, looking at John with confusion.

He smiles and shrugs.

She pulls away and speaks. "I'll give you guys a minute." With that, she walks away.

John stands up and hugs me.

Mmm, I think to myself. He still smells good.

"Hi!" I say happily.

"Hey," he smiles.

I sit down next to him. "What was that about?"

"Maybe she's finally warming up to you," he laughs.

"About time!" I joke. When he looks away, I gulp. My expression falters slightly for a moment. "How was your Christmas?" I ask.

"It was nice," he smiles. He crosses one leg over the other. "I went back home. Saw my parents. It was nice."

I nod and force a smile. "I'm glad to hear it." I pause for a moment. "How was your mom?"