3. The Queen

Lucy

I am beyond excited for my upcoming birthday because I will only turn eighteen once although I've been feeling different lately and I'm unsure why. It is probably because I am anxious to see what Ava looks like even though she's probably going to be midnight black just like my father and my brothers wolf. Black is the color of a strong Alpha, and by blood my wolf is an Alpha too. I've never gotten along with Liam, but sibling rivalry isn't uncommon among high ranking wolves and dad hasn't interacted with me much these days.

I am saddened my dad hasn't talked to me the past few weeks, but to distract myself I've tried on so many outfits until I decided I to wear a light grey dress that is mid-thigh length with a sweetheart neckline paired with platinum heels and accessories. I will look amazing. I'll be the hottest girl and wolf there and hopefully I can meet my Alpha mate from a neighboring pack. Maybe a couple of my girlfriends will be lucky too since my mom extended the invitation to betas and gammas. But no matter what I'm born to be a Luna as an Alpha's daughter. I can't see myself doing anything else since that's all I know and how my mother raised me.

"Even if our mate isn't an Alpha, we should choose to be with them Lucy. The Goddess paired our fated mate to us for a reason no matter who they are, or no matter when we can meet them." Ava is right and has been pestering me more often the closer we get to our first shift. I'm torn between the way my mom and dad raised me about mates. They were chosen mates, but my dad still tried to tell me I need to be with my fated mate if I'm lucky enough to find them while my mother says to only pick an Alpha. She's also the reason I've been so mean to Scarlett, otherwise I wouldn't have the things I do including the extravagant party I'm getting ready for.

I tell Ava that I will gladly accept my fated mate if they are an Alpha of course because that's what mother wants. She just rolls her eyes at me and hides in the back of my mind. Why would the Goddess pair me with an opposite wolf spirit, we are nothing a like! She won't even show me what she looks like inside my mind when I asked her to.

Meeting my mate and leaving here will be a blessing so I can continue to grow without worrying what my mother wants. I look forward to that freedom more than anything. I am not sure that I want pups right away though. Maybe my mate will be understanding that I would like to wait at least five years so I can earn my degree in fashion design. It would also be a way to bring revenue to the pack. Surely my alpha mate would agree with me on that and then push for an heir when I'm established on my own.

As I'm getting ready, I start thinking about my brother Liam. A part of me wishes that all the attention was on me even though my he is coming back today to stay for good. Okay, so what, he graduated from the School for Leaders and is set to take over the pack soon as Alpha when dad hands it over to him. He hasn't found his mate yet and I'm sure none of the females here are his mate. But this is supposed to be my day! Mom even got him his favorite cake for tonight instead of mine, which I think is so rude of her, but I won't get to eat any of it anyway.

Alphas aren't under as much pressure to have a mate, so he can rule as Sole Alpha or choose one if he doesn't find his fated mate after some time. She wolves cannot be a Sole Luna because we cannot rule our packs without a mate due to our laws. Although, I'm second born, if I was first, I wouldn't be able to ascend into leadership without a mate of my own. It is old school, but it is probably better that way. I personally have no idea how to run a pack and will gladly let that fall on my Alpha male mate.

Speaking of Liam and mates, I know Scarlett has a crush on Liam or at least she did while he still lived here before his leadership school. I mean most of the girls here did, so whatever. She's delusional if she thinks that Liam would ever be fated to her or even choose her though. The Goddess wouldn't do that to my brother. Regardless of how much him and I don't like one another I wouldn't wish that on him. I don't really like her much, but she is part of the Gamma family and as a future Luna I must show the pack that I care about every member, even if I don't. She's never done anything to me personally, but mother said Scarlett and I couldn't be friends, so I started bullying her to make it easier.