6. Bombshell

Scarlett

I lost track of time and when I looked at my phone it was already 6:20 PM. I internally groan and roll off my bed to get ready for an event I don't even want to go to. I don't have to do much to get ready and luckily mom picked out my dress and accessories for this thing. If I had it my way I would stay in and wear sweatpants and a hoodie, though. Lucy and I aren't even friends, but as the Gamma's daughter I am expected to be there.

The emerald green dress mom got for me has v cut neckline, but not too low, it is form fitting to my waist, and flares out into a long skirt that reaches the floor. Mom said it complemented my skin tone and she knows I'm not comfortable wearing heels, so I have on a pair of gold flats to match my gold earrings and necklace. My hair is normally wavy, so I just run my fingers through it and pinned a section back to one side letting the rest fall to my mid back. I apply a coat of mascara and my lip gloss and am ready.

I ask my mom to take a picture of me to send to my friends since my phone wouldn't stop pinging from their constant messaging. They are so sweet saying how I look on point and so hot. I do feel beautiful in this and for some reason I have the feeling something big will happen tonight other than Lucy shifting for the first time.

I laugh reading Luca's message that says:" Sexy lady!" He is a very handsome vampire, but we are just friends, and he has already told me I am not his mate. I'm not sure if he has one yet, but it is good to know there is a clear line in our relationship as just friends.

I do feel pretty in what I'm wearing but I wish I wasn't so insecure. Knowing I am different from everyone in the pack hasn't helped my confidence by any means. Being the weak human has taken a toll on me no doubt. Everything was great until I turned 16 and became some social reject for not having another voice inside my head. Sounds kind of crazy when you put it that way though doesn't it? I pray to the Goddess every night that I will get a wolf, but she isn't listening or doesn't think I need one it seems.

" Scarlett and Layla Ross let's go! Now!" I fiddle with my dress for a second before meeting my dad and brother in the hall. We are all dressed to impress, and I think mom looks more like a Luna than a Gamma tonight. Maybe I'm just biased and am projecting my dislike for Luna Margaret. Regardless my mom is beautiful and has a powerful aura about her.

Danny is a spitting image of our father right now as they are both dressed in Navy suits. He just doesn't have a beard and his hair is shaggier, but they have the same dark brown hair and eyes and dimpled chin. Danny is only four inches shorter than dad, but he isn't eighteen yet and I'm sure he will catch up after he shifts and has a growth spurt like all male wolves do.

While walking down the stairs I am so thankful that my mom didn't make me wear heels. I would have eaten face otherwise and am glad to be saved from that embarrassment.

We step inside the dining hall and sit at our assigned table, which is close to the Alpha family, so maybe I can look at Liam every now and then. Hopefully he doesn't notice when I sneak peeks though because I would be so mortified if he caught me. I'm sure he has women ogling him all the time though.

The Beta family and some of the top warriors' families in the pack have tables close to us too and I notice Mark laughing with his parents. Mark is twenty-two and he hasn't found his fated mate yet either. He is taking over the Beta position from his dad when Liam becomes Alpha, so he is back to living here on a permanent basis. They are best friends so I know they will do a great job running the pack together. Hopefully Danny steps up and isn't a complete tool when he becomes Gamma. I still haven't figured out why he's such an ass to me, but whatever.

Jealousy lingers within my heart at the fact I don't have a wolf and am stuck in a room full of them for the night, but I push it aside after taking a deep breath. The celebration tonight is all about Lucy and I am happy for her despite the relationship between us. It's a big deal for wolves to shift for the first time and I'm crossing my fingers that she meets her mate too. Mostly so she will leave in the morning since females go to the male's home pack.