28. Stowaways

Liam

Satisfied with my appearance I smooth down my jacket and head downstairs toward the dining room with a smile on my face but am instantly annoyed with the seating arrangements. Why on earth would she place Eric beside her, good Goddess. I don't understand why she likes him so much. I'm already irritated about being so close to him all evening and this celebration hasn't even started yet. I run my hands through my hair and straighten up pretending to adjust my bow tie before taking my seat because despite my stress I am the Alpha and must present myself like one. Scarlett looks amazing in green although I'm not a fan of her revealing dress for so many eyes to see. She looks good in anything or nothing to me which makes my dick gets hard just thinking about her soft curves that are meant for only me.

"Woosah, hooman. Please stop being a jackass already. I miss our mate and would like to be intimate with her again one day." Max huffs. Max would never abandon me, but I do feel our bond weakening because we aren't on the same page most of the time these days. How is Max so forgiving of Eric as an Alpha wolf?

"You should ask yourself why you are so obsessed with him." Max berates me.

I make it through dinner and transfer of power from Richard to Danny is completed smoothly. Applause erupts throughout the dining hall for the new Gamma whose mission and vows makes him their protector. I am happy for my new Gamma, but now my presence is no longer required here. My mind is preoccupied on something else, obviously, so I peck Scarlett on the cheek and rush off after Eric as he follows Wendy out the door. I'm not okay with him looking at her like a piece of meat. She didn't look like she was interested either, which pushes me to investigate this situation even more. I know she can take care of herself, but if there is anything I can use against Eric I will.

I follow them to the back yard and crouch down in the bushes so I can listen to their conversation. Prepared to be her knight in waiting if she needs it, which I doubt she does, but just in case.

"More like stalk them. You're being such a creep hooman. You're behaving so irrationally and there is more important things you should be focusing on. And this is why mate wants nothing to do with you right now."

Ignoring him I push Max to the back of my mind so I can pay better attention to what they are saying, but my plans are thwarted. Goddess, what gives. I could hear them better if Scarlett would stop trying mindlinking me right now. Of all the times she wants to see me it must be now. Seriously.

I huff as I get up to go where my lady awaits catching Wendy say, " I don't think you'd want me as a mate. I am broken."

Why did the Goddess can grant him the blessing of a second chance mate? Am I truly not understanding something?

"Obviously. You've got a lot to learn, and you should be happy for him." Max, please just shut up already.

Lost in my thoughts I walk toward the cells as directed to see my lovely mate.

"What are you two doing here?" I ask with authority and anger in my voice at the two wolves before me.

As I wait for their response, I scan the room and see an antique box made of pine wood decorated with a sun and moon carved into it, Michael's grandfather stands in the corner of the room, and Luca is holding Danny's hand. Wait, they are mates and why isn't Mark here? He's the Beta and this is part of his MO.

"What is in the box?" I ask, slightly calmer, but radiating my Alpha aura throughout the room gaining satisfaction at the discomfort Margaret is feeling from it.

"Stop suffocating everyone already Liam. We don't have time for your complex or for you to Alpha out right now," Scarlett chides me with the meanest scowl I have ever seen on her beautiful face. She wavers once she feels my hurt through our mate bond, but I know she isn't playing around because she quickly composes herself and mindlinks me that we will talk later about our personal issues.