Two

Olivia watched as Elliot slowly walked back to her bed after opening the window. It was the night before graduation, and Olivia and Elliot were attempting to spend as much time together as possible before tomorrow. Once they were graduated, Olivia and Elliot were breaking up. They both wanted to stay together, but it made little sense since Olivia was attending school in the city and Elliot was going down south for basic training.

"It's gonna be hot tomorrow. Hopefully they have the air conditioning fixed before the ceremony," Elliot spoke, as he slipped his shorts off before climbing back into bed beside Olivia.

He reached out and pulled her body close before leaning down and placing soft kisses on her lips. He ran his fingers over her bare hip before tugging her closer.

"Can we not talk about tomorrow?" Olivia whispered as tears burned her eyes.

"What's happening tomorrow?" Elliot asked with a small smile. 

"Thanks, babe," Olivia sniffled.

Elliot snuggled Olivia close as he peppered her skin with kisses. He used special care to kiss the most delicate parts of her body before settling down on top of her, his head resting against her chest.

Olivia ran her fingers through Elliot's hair and gently tugged on the ends.

"Do you think we may get back together in the future?" Elliot asked.

"Unfortunately, I don't think so... You are always going to be worlds away from me, and I'll be focused on becoming a cop. So we just need to enjoy today and tomorrow morning," Olivia sighed.

They had been together for so long that deciding to break up was like losing their other half. They hadn't lived without each other for so long that the moment they kissed one last time was going to be the end of their happiness for a while.

"I'm still willing to marry you and make you happy, Olivia," Elliot breathed, before kissing her collarbone softly.

"I'm not marrying you, Elliot. I told you I wasn't going to. I refuse to be some unhappy marine spouse who doesn't get to live her life. Anyway, you'll find some super pretty girl and have lots of adorable babies. You'll move up the ranks and be happy. I know that..." Olivia trailed off.

"I'd rather have babies with-"

"Please, Elliot! It will not happen, and you know why. I've explained it a million times. Please, just drop it. Just drop it and kiss me a few more times. Make love to me one last time before everything goes to hell."

Elliot didn't speak as he pushed himself up slowly. He leaned down and kissed Olivia's slightly parted lips, then stood. He looked at Olivia for a long moment before breaking down into tears.

"I'm sorry, babe. For ruining this relationship and the trust you had in me. I love you," He sniffled. Olivia sat up slowly, her hand reaching out to her boyfriend. Elliot hesitantly took it before being pulled down to Olivia's height.

"I love you too, El... no matter who I end up with or how many relationships I have... I will always love you."

///

The next morning, Olivia woke up to an empty bed. Elliot had left in the middle of the night, well after Serena had gotten home from work. Olivia fought off tears as she felt the cold sheet beside her. 

"Happy graduation day, honey," Serena smiled as she walked into her daughter's bedroom. She stepped over a pile of dirty laundry before passing a mug of tea to her only child.

"Thanks," Olivia whispered, as tears slipped down her cheeks.

"Liv-"

"He left last night and didn't say goodbye, Mama..." Olivia whimpered.

"Sweetie, it's okay. You'll be able to see him later and give him a proper goodbye. Okay?" Serena spoke, as she cupped her daughter's cheeks in her hand and gently brushed away the tears on her cheeks.

"I'm never going to find a love like the one Elliot and I have! He's my everything, my soulmate! All I want is to spend the rest of my life with him, but I can't! I refuse to be unhappy my entire life if I don't chase my own dreams and just float along on his! But even if I keep telling myself that this breakup is supposed to happen, I don't even believe my fucking self! I want him, and I never want to lose him!" Olivia sobbed.

Serena sat the mugs to the side before wrapping her arms around Olivia and holding her close. Serena had been certain that her daughter and Elliot would be together forever. Their love was rare and something so special. Yet here she is, holding her daughter after her first heartbreak to a boy who would forever have her heart.

///

Olivia's heels clicked against the cement as Elliot led her towards the playground they first met at. Elliot opened the gate and let Olivia in before following close behind. They wandered to a swing set, and sat side by side. They didn't speak. All they did was sit side by side, hands clasped together.

"I leave for basic next Monday. My parents are driving me down in my car, and then will fly back. Uh, if we lose contact with each other, my parents already know that they can tell you anything regarding me. So please, if you hear about a shooting or a bombing, please contact them to make sure I'm alive and well. Um-"

"We need to not talk once we break up, El. It'll be too hard to talk to you, but not be with you. Okay? So please, just leave and forget about me."

"I can never forget about you, Olivia!" Elliot exclaimed, as he climbed off the swing and locked eyes with Olivia.

"But it won't hurt as much if you forget about me! Elliot-"

"I love you, Olivia. I cannot forget that! If you don't want to talk, then we won't talk. But we can't forget about what we fucking have! So-" Elliot rambled, but stopped when Olivia stood.

She stepped forward and pecked his cheek gently before walking away. Elliot let out a heart wrenching sob as his life walked away.