Fifteen

While Elliot was waiting to get discharged, he and Olivia didn't see each other in person. Olivia had work and Elliot was tying up loose ends while also focusing on Avery. Christine was still being a bitch about the whole baby and the New York thing, so she was a topic they didn't speak about.

"How was your appointment?" Amanda asked, as her partner slowly walked into the squadroom. Olivia rubbed her lower back and sighed deeply.

"The back pain is because the baby is pushing on a nerve, so I'll probably be in pain until the baby moves or I give birth," Olivia replied. Amanda frowned and walked to Olivia.

"Don't sit down yet."

"What? The elevator is broken, so I had to walk up five flights of stairs," Olivia grumbled.

"You have a visitor in the breakroom. I think that I would have been smacked if you had sat down and then had to get up again," Amanda replied. Olivia turned away from Amanda and moved slowly to the breakroom. She stepped out of the way of an officer before stepping in. 

It took her a few moments to notice the man sitting in the far corner. Olivia's pain seemed to fade the moment she saw him sitting there.

"Elliot Stabler," she grinned.

"Olivia Benson, you look amazing," Elliot replied. He stood and met her halfway before looping his arms around her body.

Elliot leaned in and kissed her several times before just holding her to his body.

"What are you doing here? I thought we wouldn't be able to see each other in person until after your discharge and you could talk to Christine?" Olivia questioned, as she rested her head against his shoulder.

"My discharged has officially been approved, and I'm actively applying to jobs here in New York."

"What?" Olivia asked, as she leaned back and looked at Elliot. He smiled at her before kissing the tip of her nose.

"I'm coming back here even if Christine isn't excited about it."

"El-"

"I know you are worried that I'll break Christine's heart if I take Avery, but I'll make things work. Even if I have to drive hours back and forth so that we can keep our custody agreement," Elliot smiled. Olivia gave him a nervous look before nodding weakly.

"What is your custody agreement?" Olivia questioned as she stepped out of his embrace and moved to the coffee pots. She poured decaf into her #1 Mama mug before moving to sit with Elliot.

"When I'm not deployed, I have Avery during the week, and Christine has her on the weekends. She's a university art teacher, so she's pretty busy during the week, but free on the weekend," Elliot explained.

"Are you sure she'd want to keep that agreement? She could take you to court, especially since Avery would go to a different school if you moved here..." Olivia trailed off. She shifted on the hard chair and tried to will the baby to shift position so she wouldn't be in so much pain.

"Liv-"

"Elliot, in the end... Avery needs you more than I do. I want you to be with her, because you are her father. We won't even know if this baby is yours or not, so why shift your entire life to New York if this kid pops out looking like Keith?" Olivia questioned. 

As usual, she was putting her walls up and trying to push Elliot away. Olivia knew she wanted him, but Avery needed him and would always need him. If Christine got a lawyer and a judge involved, Elliot could lose all custody of his precious little girl, and that would destroy him.

"I want to be here with you, Liv. With you, Jackson, Landon, and our baby. I told you that no matter if that kid is mine or not, I will love it just like I love Avery," Elliot sighed. He looked down at his watch before standing slowly."I gotta get going."

"El-"

"I have an interview. I'd like to take you out tonight and hear about your appointment. Your partner told me about it, since you never told me about it on the phone last night."

Olivia frowned deeply before slowly lifting her swollen frame from the chair.

"Fine."

Elliot kissed Olivia's cheek before walking from the breakroom without another word.

///

Elliot had a few interviews that afternoon. He went to apply at a private investigator's office and to be a security guard at a local FBI field office. Once he went to both interviews, he went to his hotel room and got cleaned up for his date with Olivia.

However, when he got to Olivia's house, she was in her pajamas and holding a hot water bottle in her arms. Her face was pale, and her hair was tied up on the top of her head.

"El, I sent you a text to reschedule," Olivia sighed softly.

"I never got a text, Liv. Are you okay?" Elliot questioned, as he reached out and gently touched her forehead to see if she was running a fever.

"I'm fine, just a lot of lower back pain. My mother is here to help with the boys, and I was just going to lie down and use this on my back," Olivia spoke, as she shook the water bottle in her hand.

"Let me help, Liv. We can still spend time together," Elliot replied.

"You are all dressed up and you show up to find me in my pajamas and robe... El, maybe-"

"We aren't doing this, Olivia. I get you are worried about what may happen when Christine finds out about Avery and I moving here, but that's my thing to worry about. Now, let me in. I'll rub your back and try my best to make you feel better."

"O-okay," Olivia whispered. She stepped back and let Elliot into her house. Serena came out of the kitchen and smiled at Elliot.

"I'm glad you are here, Elliot. She was being stubborn and didn't want to ask for your help," Serena smiled gently.

"I think she gets that stubborn streak from you, Ms. Benson," Elliot grinned. Serena chuckled and walked to where he stood. He tugged her into a tight hug before parting.

"I'm making dinner for the boys. Would you like a plate?"

"Maybe a little later. I need to get our girl upstairs and relaxing," Elliot smiled. He squeezed Serena's shoulder before turning to look at Olivia.

"Can you help me up the stairs?" She asked weakly.

"Anything for you."

Elliot looped his arm around Olivia's waist and helped her slowly up the stairs. He kissed her temple as they reached the landing. Olivia leaned heavily into him, and Serena watched the exchanged. She knew now she had to help force Olivia into accepting Elliot's move to New York because they were meant to be.