Choosing the footsteps to pursue

Ainz leaned back, his mental expression a mix of weariness and wisdom, his crimson gaze fixed on Alf. The dimly lit room was charged with an almost sacred atmosphere. It was a rare occurrence when Ainz shared such intimate insights with Alf.

"Let us continue this conversation next time," Ainz said, a faint smile tugging at the corners of his skeletal lips. "And I promise you won't have to wait as long again."

Alf's face reflected the turmoil of thoughts within, his eyes holding a touch of fatigue but an unwavering spark of passion remained. He couldn't help but wonder, the curiosity in his eyes dancing with the flame of unanswered questions.

"Am I right to assume it was you who cast the Death Resistance on Ulbert-sama?" Alf asked, his voice carrying a deep sense of wonder.

Ainz nodded. "Indeed, I was the one who cast it. I thought that was clear enough, but sometimes the subtleties get lost in the grand scheme of things."

Curiosity danced across Alf's face like a fleeting shadow. "But how did you know when to cast it? Did you do it on instinct? And how were you able to remain invisible for that long?"

Ainz leaned forward, his skull-like visage catching the light. "Ah, those were unique circumstances. We used a form of communication beyond the confines of Yggdrasil. As for the invisibility, it was a spell that retained my invisibility until I moved. We did encounter some challenges during the preparations, though. One might say it was a rather memorable night."

Ainz's hollow sockets seemed to shimmer with the recollection, a fleeting smile perhaps hidden behind the skeletal façade. "Happy memories, they were."

With a newfound sense of wisdom, Ainz spoke, his words a beacon of guidance for the young Alf. "Now, I have a question for you, Alf."

Alf's eyes met Ainz's, holding the question within before he ventured to voice it. "What is it, Ainz-sama?"

"Do you wish to pursue Ulbert's class?" The question hung in the air, heavy with significance.

Silence descended, stretching moments into hours, until finally, Alf broke the quietude. He looked up at Ainz, determination written in the depths of his eyes.

"Would it be amiss if I answered in the affirmative?"

Ainz regarded Alf with a hint of understanding, as a mentor to his pupil. "Of course not; Alf. Ulbert's class possesses the greatest destructive potential among magic casters, but it's not without its drawbacks."

Alf's voice was weighted with the desire for power yet touched by the shadow of doubt. "I do wish to pursue it, Suzuki-sensei. But I'm well aware that I can never match the greatness of the Supreme Beings. I am no deity... but the allure of a Catastrophe class is too profound for me to ignore."

Ainz's wisdom flowed through his words, a guiding light in the darkness. "But are you prepared to accept the sacrifice this path demands, Alf?"

Alf's brow furrowed, and he looked to Ainz for understanding. "What do you mean by a 'sacrifice,' Ainz-sama?"

Ainz's answer was gentle, the weight of experience and knowledge carried in his voice. "It means you may become a glass cannon. A powerful one, to be sure, but one that sacrifices self-sufficiency for the allure of unparalleled power."

Alf considered this revelation carefully, his mind weaving through the implications. "So, in essence, I may become dependent on others to protect me."

"Indeed," Ainz nodded. "A glass cannon excels in causing damage, but it lacks the durability of other classes. It thrives in destruction but is vulnerable in defense."

"So, a feat as glorious as Katze Plains may no longer be within reach," Alf mused, pondering the weight of his choices.

Ainz reassured him, his words laced with understanding. "You may attain Katze Plains, Alf, but only when you face an opponent who poses no threat to you whatsoever. Yes, I defeated 300,000 that day, but they were mere humans. Pursuing the Catastrophe class could very well enable you to surpass my record."

Alf's thoughts were as turbulent as a brewing storm, caught between the allure of power and the burden of dependence.

Ainz sensed his hesitation and addressed it. "What you must understand, Alf, is that it's not wrong to depend on others. In fact, it's often a necessity. In a world where Nazarick stands unchallenged, you may never have to engage in combat. You could lead a life of peace, and perhaps one day you'll come to regret not pursuing your passion. The world may never offer you a true challenge."

Determined yet cautious, Alf spoke his resolve. "I accept the cost. I will embrace the power that requires a sacrifice. Thank you for these profound insights, Suzuki-sensei."

Moved by the sincerity of Alf's gratitude, Ainz extended his bony hand to rest it gently on Alf's shoulder. "No need for thanks, Alf. After all, I am your teacher. Now, you must be tired, and it's grown late. Don't rush into making your decision. You are still young, with at least a decade before this question truly weighs upon you. And remember, you can always choose to follow in your grandfather's footsteps."

Alf's footsteps were measured as he left the room, his heart and mind heavy with contemplation. He paused in the doorway, his gaze drawn to the spot Albedo had occupied earlier. It was now empty, perhaps she lacked the courage to repeat the act after being caught before.

At that moment, Alf's heart raced, and an inexplicable warmth washed over him. His final words echoed softly in the room. "I don't know why, but that moment... was nice."

The room seemed to absorb his words, carrying them like whispers in the quiet corridors of Nazarick.