Chapter 44

Eleanor's POV

"You told him?" I asked brokenly when I came back into the room with Skylar.

"Yeah, and the connection cut," Skylar said quietly. "Well, he said bye really quickly. But I know he won't tell them. At least, I don't think he will."

"This must be so strange for you," Dani sighed.

"I feel worse for him," I said. "To know someone all your life and then wake up and realize they don't know who you are anymore."

"Enough about me," Skylar said impatiently. "El, are you sure the baby isn't Louis's?"

"I don't know," I admitted. "I need...Louis."

"To see if there's a DNA match?" Dani asked, and I nodded.

Skylar let out a whistle. "You are in some serious horse-shit, El." (Anyone watch Pitch Perfect? Made a reference RIGHT THERE, uh-huh!)

"I know," I mumbled.

"Eleanor, don't take this the wrong way, but you need to tell Louis," Dani said.

"What am I supposed to say?" I wailed. "That during a modelling gig I ran into my second-cousin and he banged me?"

"We don't know if it's his," Skylar said soothingly.

"I still can't believe he'd do that," Dani said sadly. "El, why don't you just have an abortion?"

"That's called murder," I said brokenly. "I couldn't do that."

"Girl or boy?" Skylar asked. "If you could choose."

"If it's my second-cousin's," I said, swallowing, "I'd want it to be a girl. I would file a restraining order and hopefully Louis wouldn't kill me. And help take care of her with me."

"What about a boy?" Skylar asked.

I shrugged. "That wouldn't be too bad. But Lou has more experience with girls."

"That's true," Dani said, nodding.

"Wait, so what happened?" Skylar asked. "How long ago did he, you know..." she trailed off.

I flushed. "About two months ago."

"And when did you and Louis do it?" Dani asked.

"The night before he left."

Skylar shook her head. "Good grief, it could be either of theirs."

"I know!" I wailed. "It's a tragedy."

"But El, Lou's your boyfriend, he deserves to know," Skylar said quietly. "And if he really does love you, he'll accept it and help you through it."

"I don't want to burden him," I said sadly.

"Louis will do anything for you, El, that's how much he cares," Dani told me. "And if he knows that it wasn't your fault, which it wasn't, I hope," she said, regarding me carefully. "Then Skylar's right, he will help you."

"I need to find out who's it is," I mumbled.

"Look, there's one easy way to do this," Skylar said briskly, sitting up quickly and wincing, her hand flying to her ribs. "Ouch. Anyways, I would call the police and get your cousin arrested for abuse," she gestured to the noticeably prominent dark bruise on my collarbone, "and then tell the police what he did and ask for, you know, DNA sample."

"But I don't know if I want to get him arrested," I said quietly. "I mean, he is my family."

"He's a family member who's done wrong," Dani insisted. "He deserves this. Unless..." she arched an eyebrow. "You were just as willing."