Chapter 50

Dedicated to @Delicato for being the 10th Voter/Commenter, for dedicating one of her chapters to me, and for being an amazing friend :) Go read her book guys, it's called Broken Trust, and it's amazing!

Skylar's POV

The phone slipped from my hand and crashed to the ground.

My mind was in shock. I couldn't comprehend his words.

"What?" I gasped, but it was evident he couldn't hear me, since the phone was on the ground and not in my hand.

I swooped down to pick the phone up. The call had disconnected, most likely when I'd dropped the phone.

I inspected the phone, assuming it was fine, put it in my pocket, and walked over to the wall, where I sat down against it, and let the tears fall.

"Skylar?" a voice asked. "Where are you?"

Ashlyn walked up to me and knelt down in front of me. Her face softened. "What happened?" she asked.

I shook my head. Since arriving a few days ago for the trial, Ashlyn had been anything but mean to me. Niall had mentioned it was like seeing our relationship come alive again. But I had no idea.

I didn't know how to respond. As far as I knew, she was still in league with Tiffany, and I didn't want to say anything that would end up getting turned against me.

Keaton breaking up with me would certainly give her leverage.

"Sky?" Ashlyn asked again. "You can tell me."

Her kind brown eyes bored into my blue ones. Once again, I felt compelled to tell her. She radiated kindness, sympathy, and love. 

"I'm sorry," I mumbled finally. "I just want to be alone for a bit."

I stood up and ran off blindly, out of the building, down the street, tears blinding my vision. The last thing I saw before things went black was a car speeding towards me.

Not again, I thought before the impact shook me and I went flying.

Ashlyn's POV

"LIAM!" I shrieked as the rest of them filed out of the building, laughing and talking.

"What?" Liam asked, smiling.

I wasn't in the mood for tears. I yelled, "Follow me!" and ran through the crowd before spotting Skylar lying motionless on the road.

"Skylar," I whispered, kneeling next to her. I smoothed her hair from her face. "Skylar, wake up."

The rest of the gang had reached me, and Niall's face went white as he flung himself towards her prostrate body. "Skylar," he said, his eyes filling with tears. "What happend? Ashlyn, why?" he said, starting to sob.

It seemed to me like he had stronger feelings for Skylar than he did for Tiff, but I wasn't going to question it now, not when Skylar needed help.

"Call the ambulance," I told Liam, who said, "Zayn's already on it."

Eleanor had knelt next to me and said, "Why?"

"I found her outside the courtroom crying, and she told me she needed some time to be alone. Then she ran out. I followed her, and--" I hiccuped, letting tears form in my eyes. "I...she got hit by a car. I don't think she saw it."

"She has a pulse," Harry said faintly, his fingers pressed to Skylar's neck. 

Niall was sobbing hysterically in Louis's arms, screaming, "Why her? What happened? Why this again? Why!!?!?!??!"