Chapter 51

Niall's POV

I was pissed off.

At Keaton Stromberg.

How dare he break her heart like that? Now she was in the hospital, lying in the bed, looking fragile, pale, and unmoving.

His words when I'd called to yell at him?

"I needed to do it. I'd appreciate if you'd stay out of my business."

He needed to do it, my arse. He was probably just going to use her from the very beginning.

I stared at my best friend, lying still, too still, in the bed, all bandaged up.

The damage wasn't bad. She sustained a mild concussion and a sprained ankle. Some bruised ribs. It wasn't bad. 

The head trauma, according to the doctor, wasn't bad. He said that there might be a chance, when she woke up, that she'd remember everything that she'd forgotten before. But...there was also a 50% chance it could be the other way around.

That she'd remember nothing. Nothing.

I put my head in my arms and let the tears stream down my cheeks. 

Why did these things always happen to her? Also, they happened frequently. The span of time had been almost 3 weeks, which wasn't good. Too much head trauma wasn't good at all.

Skylar's arm shifted, but I didn't bother calling the nurse. I just stared at her. 

She was breathing, but other than the tiny fraction of movements from her chest and arm, her body was still. 

She was still in a coma.

I closed my eyes as I remembered the doctor's words.

"She's fallen into a coma."

"For how long?" Liam asked.

"We don't know," the doctor admitted. "It could be as little as a day, to as long as..."

He trailed off. But he didn't have to finish his sentence. I understood the last word from his context.

Forever.

I stood up and walked over to the side of Skylar's bed. "Skylar," I mumbled. "You've gotta stay here. I need you to walk down that aisle with me."

I realized there was a double meaning in my words, and immediately flushed. "I mean, at Carter's wedding."

I waited for her to smirk, to laugh and say, "Sure, Niall," or even, "Leppy," but I got no reply.

I studied her pale complexion and brushed a stray hair from her face. Her lips were pale, and she looked more delicate than a piece of china.

I leaned down and kissed her cheek. "I've got to run to the loo, but I'll be back," I whispered.

Then I stood up and walked, my gaze lingering on her as I opened the door.

Skylar's POV (Yes, you can write a POV from a dead person's POV)

Listen to Tonight I'm Getting Over You -- Carly Rae Jepsen (External Link and Video on Side!) and go to 0:15 seconds in the video while you read this part!

The world was a black and blue blur. 

I was spinning through the darkness, falling at a breakneck pace.

How was my neck not breaking?

I closed my eyes and let myself fall.

As I descended further, faces flashed before my eyes.

Carter.

Vanessa.

My mom and dad.

Tiffany.

Jenna.

Sierra.

Louis.

Harry.

Liam.

Zayn.

Eleanor.

Danielle.

Ashlyn.

Drew.

Wesley.

Ashlyn.

Keaton.

I hesitated. "Wait."

My fall halted. I had a few words to say to Keaton before I left the world.

If I was going to leave the world.

"Keats..." my voice trailed off. I swallowed. "I don't know if you loved me, or if you just pretended to. But my feelings for you were genuine. And I couldn't have asked for a better time to spend with you. But...you broke my heart, and tonight...or today...whatever time it is, it's time for me to get over you. We're not a couple...but the bond we always shared....we were way more than just friends. And I thank you for the amazing bond we shared. But it's time I got over you."

As soon as the word 'you' slipped from my mouth, Keaton's face disappeared and my fall started once again.

Niall.

I paused when I saw that one. My mouth opened. "Wait," I begged. I wanted to stop. I wanted to talk to him, one last time.

But I couldn't stop falling.

I looked down. The blackness had faded to white. The white blinded me, and I closed my eyes.

I gasped as I started falling faster.

There was only one thing left to do.

Niall's face was fading, but it didn't disappear as fast as the other faces had gone.

"Niall don't go!" I begged, but his face faded away, just like the others.

Tears formed in my eyes as I fell faster and faster through the now white world.

"It's about time you've joined us," a voice said, and I let out a sob.

Was this the end?

"I love you, Niall," I whispered, as I hit something with a sickening thump and all went black.

Author's Note:

Aww, you all hate me don't you ): 

This is the last Skylar's POV we'll see until Expect the Unexpected, sorry (: but it's the way the story worked.

I have to say I'm extremely impressed with how you guys have voted and commented (or as my friend @Naughty_And_Spice would say, VOMMENTED, luv u gurl!) on Chapter 50, so I decided to post this one WAYYY ahead of schedule.

Change of Heart now has about 2 more chapters left to go, I want to end it around 53, with a sneak peek into chapter 54 of Expect the Unexpected after 53 has ended.

So I'll leave you guys to your soak in your misery with two last questions:

HAS SKYLAR GONE FOREVER?

Do you think Skylar loves Niall as a friend, or more than?

Lots of Love, Lauren <3