Chapter 54

Liam's POV

Niall was in hysterics.

The hospital staff had phoned us and told us that he was having a mental breakdown. I had arrived first, only to see my best mate and band member writhing on the floor shrieking, "SHE SPOKE TO ME! SKYLAR SPOKE TO ME!"

That only made me think he was mentally unstable, yet I didn't want to have to send him to a mental institution.

"Niall," I murmured, kneeling next to him and pulling him close. "What happened? You need to calm down and tell me exactly what happened."

Niall sniffed and looked up at me, his brillant blue eyes soaked with tears. "Liam..." he hiccuped. "I walked in. I wanted to see her one last time." He hesitated. "And she coughed. Like, actually. And then...she spoke."

"What did she say?" I asked uneasily.

"She said--" Niall swallowed. "I love you, Niall."

I gaped at him. "You don't think she actually did, do you?"

"Of course I do!" he howled suddenly. "I know when my best friend speaks. Check the cameras--"

"They don't have security cameras in this ward," a nurse said, looking concerned.

"Niall," I said as calmly and comforting as possible. "You need to calm down. I had to contradict you on this..." I glanced over at Skylar on the bed. "I hope you can see why I don't believe you."

Niall's eyes filled with tears. "You're my best friend," he whispered. "You have to believe me."

"Niall, see if from my point of view," I said rather desperately. "Skylar's lying on the bed, not moving, breathing faint. I don't see how she could've come out of her coma and fallen right back into it."

Niall swallowed. "I know," he mumbled. "But I know she spoke to me. You can't just imagine it that easily."

"Why are you so worked up about this?" I asked. "I thought you loved Tiffany."

"I do," Niall hiccuped. "But...I loved Skylar too."

"I hear past tense," I said.

"That was before she left tour," Niall reminded me. "I thought I was in love."

"You thought?" I asked.

"That was before I met Tiff."

"What makes you think you love Tiffany?" I asked him.

Niall hesitated. "She...well...I don't know," he admitted.

"When you're around the two," I said finally. "How do they make you feel?"

"I can be so natural around Skylar," Niall admitted. "I feel so normal, and we have so much fun. It's a really good relationship and the feeling is mutual."

"And Tiff?" I prompted.

"Tiff and I have a weird relationship," Niall sighed. "It's complicated."

"How so?"

"Tiff is refreshing. She's different. She's feisty, well, not that Skylar wasn't," Niall glanced at me. "But she's really sweet and the change from her and Skylar is refreshing."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"It's like asking you what you like about Ashlyn and Dani," Niall said. "You like Dani because she understands you. You like Ashlyn because she likes to have fun, and she's different from your usual type. That's what you like about her as well. Well, I like Skylar because she gets me, ya know? And I also like Tiffany because she's so different from anyone else I've dated."

"You just said you like both of them," I pointed out.

Niall flushed. "Well, I'm in a dliemna."

"I can see that," I noted.

"I like them both, I guess." Niall looked thoughtful. "I guess it's never been really evident how much I really liked Skylar. Until she completely forgot about me."

"So what you're saying is..." I hesitated.

"I can't live without her, Liam." Niall admitted.

"So what are you saying?" I asked.

Niall hesitated, deep in thought.

I let him think. "I'll be back," I said softly. "Get your thoughts straight, we have to head to Skylar's apartment to finish packing for her."

I made it to the door when Niall spoke one last time.

"I love her too, Liam." 

I wheeled around in shock. "You what?" I gasped.

Niall's face was one of realization. And shock. I think he surprised himself.

But his tone was one of acceptance.

"Liam," he hesitated, glancing over at Skylar's body. "I love her."

THE END!!!

Author's Note:

Yeah, that's where I'm ending it :) 

Expect the 3rd book, Expect the Unexpected, to be out sometime later this week cuz i'm awesome and i'm on a 2 week break :)

What did you guys think of Change of Heart? Was it anything like you expected it?

Comment your predictions for Expect the Unexpected, and your thoughts on Change of Heart.

Are you excited for the third and final installment? I know I am!

Post your thoughts in comments below, and VOTE if you liked Change of Heart!

Love, Lauren.

THE FINAL CHAPTER OF CHANGE OF HEART IS REALLY THIS ONE. BUT THERE WILL BE ONE MORE CHAPTER AFTER THIS STATING A 'PREVIEW' INTO THE FIRST CHAPTER OF ETU, AND ALSO ANOTHER UPDATE AFTER THAT LETTING YOU GUYS KNOW WHEN THE SEQUEL IS UP.

SO DON'T TAKE IT OFF YOUR READING LISTS!

ONCE AGAIN, HAVE A NICE SUNDAY :)

LOVE, LAUREN.