Chapter 2: Something Sparkly!

And seeing the ghost, the three have no choice but to attack, since the ghost has attacked them first.

Riddle casts his fire magic, "Come forth, flames!"

And spread his fire magic at the ghost.

The ghost screams, "Aieee! Hot - hot - hot! It burns me to my soul! Spare meee!"

And flies away in fear.

Riddle huffs, "Hmph. Giving up already? So much for all his talk."

"I'm pretty sure most people would turn tail and run if you came at them, hands a-blazing," Ruggie replies.

"I can't help but wonder, though. That ghost said he was supposed to bring us to his boss..." Riddle says.

Then Ruggie says, "If someone's ordering ghosts to haul in the living, they must be a really nasty piece of work."

"I was planning to capture that ghost and question him, but he certainly knew how to make a quick getaway," Riddle says.

Ortho remains silent.

Riddle asks, "Something the matter, Ortho?"

"Fog. A Full moon. Graves. Time stopping. And now, a clearly visible ghost... When I used those keywords to filter my databanks, I hit on a single location. I think we're in the Spectral Realm," Ortho says.

"The Spectral Realm?!" Riddle and Ruggie ask, shocked.

"You mean, like, the afterlife?! We came to the afterlife while we're still alive?!" Ruggie asks, disbelief.

Riddle calms himself and says, "Interesting... That would explain why the viewglass doesn't work. No matter how magical it may be, it certainly wasn't designed to communicate with the hereafter."

"Don't just nod to yourself like that! How can you be so calm?! Man, this SUCKS," Ruggie says, clearly freaking out. "I should've never stuck my neck out. Not even for my holiday break. You can only enjoy that when you're alive..."

Suddenly, Ruggie notices something sparkling on the ground.

That gets him excited, "Ooo, something's sparkly!" and rushes over.

Riddle and Ortho are surprised.

"Wow, talk about fast! He was gone in less than a second," Ortho says.

"And I thought he was quick when avoiding the ghost attacks," Riddle replies, bluntly.

Then Ruggie returns from finding the object, "Aww, man. It's a piece of mirror. I thought it was a coin."

"You seem to be handling this just fine," Riddle says.

Then asks, "May I see what you found?"

Ruggie then passes the mirror piece to Riddle.

Riddle observes it, "Ah... I can see why you'd mistake this for a coin. It's barely bigger than the tip of my thumb."

"Did the ghost drop it when he fled?" Ortho asks.

"Hm?" Riddle replies. Then notices something else, "There's something else on the ground."

Riddle walks over to see a piece of paper, "A scrap of paper?" He looks at the writing and has a shocked expression, "No, it's..."