19

March was Madeline's favorite month. It was an in-between month of winter and spring.

But at the beginning it was still absolutely freezing.

Madeline sat on the couch with a fuzzy blanket as the TV played 'Breakfast at Tiffany's'.

There was a knock at the door and her Dad got up to answer it.

"Mary Anne isn't home,"

"We actually came to see you," Claudia commented, walking in with Stacey.

"Oh god, I'm going next door," Madeline commented, sensing where it was going.

---

"He's so obviously in love with you!" Sophie exclaimed to Hallie as Madeline walked in.

"Madeline, thank god," Hallie exclaimed as Madeline took off her boot and jacket, "you saved me!"

"No I think Herman's in love with you as well," Madeline told her, as a pair of arms slid around her waist.

"I'm in love with you," Sam told Madeline.

"As if we didn't know," Hallie rolled her eyes.

"Why are you being so needy?" Madeline questioned.

"I haven't seen you in a week,"

"It's been two days," Sophie corrected.

"Same thing,"

"We have a lot of girl talk to get through," Sophie told him, "no boys allowed,"

"When you get bored of this come into my room," Sam told her.

"I will," Madeline replied, kissing his cheek.

Sam left the room, leaving the girls.

---

Sam and Maddie walked back over to Madeline's house, he was joining them for dinner.

Sam held back a laugh when he saw Richard.

"What is it, Thomas?"

"Dad, your hair, did you dye it?" Madeline questioned, looking at Sam for help in phrasing the questioned.

"It has clay in it,"

"You put clay in your hair?" Sam questioned.

"What does Sharon think?" Maddie questioned.

"Sharon and I stopped seeing each other,"

"There it is, midlife crisis," Sam whispered to Maddie loud enough for Richard to hear.

"Not midlife crisis. Stacey and Claudia came over and redid Mary Anne's room and well, tried to 'fix' my hair,"

"Maddie!" Mary Anne exclaimed, pulling her sister's arm up the stairs, "we started redoing my room!"

"Oooh, you're painting it purple? Trés chic," Madeline commented as Sam followed behind her.

"I suppose this means I'm not spending the night tonight?" Sam questioned, earning a glare from Madeline as Richard walked in.

"Nah, I'm going to go to the guest room tonight. I won't know a thing,"

"What is there to know?" Richard questioned, looking between his daughter and Sam.

----

Sophie was at Madeline's house, project get Hallie and Herman together was a go. "Just because we've been focused on Hallie and Herman lately doesn't mean I haven't noticed something wrong with you and Sam," Sophie commented.