Chapter 48

I sighed with hopelessness when Winston came back from putting the necklace away. It seemed he stored it somewhere, instead of putting it back in the cavern. I grumbled about it for days but Sesshomaru calmed me down.

     Since the necklace disappearance, I wasn't pestered with any more nightmare of Chris' death. And like the dreams, the last piece of ice on the ground melted into water to nourish the soil. This announced the arrival of the light rainy season. The skies were dim like a layer of dark colored seawater was floating over it. Time to time some small raindrops would fall, on and off, so the ground could remain in a constant wet state. This kind of rain frustrated me the most. I could even feel it from my children who wanted to play outside.

     This helped the plants a lot though. They looked different with each passing day. Just in the span of a few days, this withered world transformed into a lush jungle of green. It would soon be time to plant the wheat and rice seeds we still had stored away. I wanted to check out the barren lands that we saw last time I ventured out. I also wanted to try my reiki out that I've been working in constantly since I told Miroku and Kaede the dreams. They were dead set in training me fiercely since we were pretty much stuck inside.

      I looked outside, seeing that it was going to be a good day. I had the children play outside for a bit. My mom and dad were playing with their children as well as their grandchildren. Everyone seemed to flock outside. Mom and Mother Inukimi seemed to notice my frustration on not being able to have some alone time, so they offered to watch the children. I wore a bright smile, thanking them and promised to look after their kids if they ever needed a break.

      I snuck out of the city and went towards the barren lands. It was amazing on how much it changed. I was also glad I was in my dog form, creatures steered clear just by the sight of me. In ten minutes, I managed to come to the barren land we went through. In a few miles, there should be a river. The one I stopped at to drink and was attacked by the scorpion. Thanks to Winston somehow making a deal with the scorpion king, they took care of the current scorpion problem. I hope with how the scorpion king dealt with it the last time, they wouldn't be stupid enough to risk their lives for me again. Then again they were considered feral beasts. They did anything to get a mate.

      I used a scent marker around the entire barren land before I stood in the middle of it. I took a deep breath and then concentrated on my reiki. I pooled it into my feet before slowly spreading it out. I could feel my power drain little by little as my reiki help revitalize the land. The land I was healing was about two hundred acres in farming land. It should be more than enough to farm wheat and rice for the entire city. Hell, it would be good to start a dairy farm as well. There would be many benefits for the city if we could find something like a cow. We managed to find the bird that was like a chicken and kept many of them, which provided the eggs. We could at least start a egg farm. The river nearby had fish if I remembered correctly, so I could put those old traps to good use to feed the birds.

      As I continued to think about the progress of the city, I felt my power stop being siphoned which made me snap out of my thoughts. I looked around, finding lush grass all over the ground. I beamed out in pride before I let out a triumphant howl into the air. I shook out my fur before shifting back into my human skin and bent down to the ground. My fingers played with the grass that was gently swaying with the slight wind. I heard many gasps come from behind me, making me look. I held up my hand, making a victory sign.

      "Did you revitalize this entire barren land?" Sesshomaru said as he walked over to me, his golden eyes showing his shock.

      "Indeed." I beamed. "Now we can farm wheat and rice. I was planning on starting a community farm."